Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Through the Tough Parts >

Getting Through the Tough Parts

Getting Through the Tough Parts

Old 11-05-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
all good suggestions. One additional thing I do is listen to audio books. I try not to listen unless I am doing something productive or waiting in car pool etc. Once I get caught up in a story it makes the time fly.
I do the same. It really does make a difference!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
That is what chocolate is for. For picky parts I give myself a goal like I will do 2 or 3 and then have a reward. You can do this and it will be awesome when finished!
That is a really good idea. I think I will do that tomorrow to get my binding done.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 AM

That is what chocolate and wine are for! Also take a break for a day or 2 if you can. I am working on a quilt with a difficult block. I need 8 of them. I made 3 that are nearly perfect. I can't make them any more. I have ripped so many times I have ruined the fabric. It is all bias edges. I had to order more fabric. I threw it aside for a few weeks. Hopefully I can do them now. I am using my precious stash of Kaffe Fasset fabric for this quilt. I have another quilt I want to use it for and I can't start that until this one is finished.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I Have been making quilts for foster kids. Nothing fancy or intricate using scraps. I never reach the point where you are. So I have not suggestions for you. I sew 4-5 hours a day, if I really am not in the mood for that day, then I do something else.
I am with Phyllis! Your work is amazing so keep chipping away. We all love that you share with us.

I am just a utility piecer for charity quiltsl. If there's something I don't like doing, I either don't do it or hire it done by my betters and most all of you are my betters, LOL! My talents and my pleasures are in cutting and piecing simple tops for those in need and/or crisis. On the rare occasion I need to do something I am not confident of, I look here or on Youtube for help and that helps me get it done and behind me. Trust me, at my age, I don't let that happen often but this help is there if I need it. I am grateful and blessed to be part of a charity bee that has many, many talented people who love doing different parts of the process. I love being able to do what I like and only that for many hours each day. You'll get there. {{{Hugs}}}
Old 11-05-2017, 07:32 AM

Listening to an audio book is a good idea - especially if the work is simply tedious and repetitive. I see myself in so many posts here. If I push too hard, I get sloppy. If I walk away too often, it doesn't get done. I'm pretty good at working in short increments to stay focused on a project. But sometimes, quilting loses its pleasure.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:57 AM

I forge ahead. If it goes into the closet it’s liable to never come out.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:18 PM

I may leave it for a day or two but pick away at it a little here and there...I am lucky that I don’t have many UFO’s and most of my quilts are gifts with a deadline or holiday. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Thanks, Jokir, I'm actually quilting geese, using a ruler, but that's a good idea.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'm going to take a break and go back to it after a bit.
I've been staring at it (Thanks, Bearisgray) and I think it will be easier if I start from the other end of the line.
I'm doing it on my DSM and I watched a video on the ruler before I bought it but they were using a long arm. It sure looks a lot easier, with the long arm! (If, of course, you know how to use a long arm.)

Watson
at a class with Krista Withers, she showed a method where you draw the rectangle (assuming you are making several stacked) and then divide into 2 lenght-wise, then draw horizontal lines so you end up with 2 sets of boxes side-by-side. Then to quilt you do a bottom, side, diagonal to center line, over to edge, etc. I creates a zigzag. At the top you come back down. I'll try to draw this but my computer skills are shakey.[ATTACH=CONFIG]583452[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	resize Tricias 5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	583452  

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 11-05-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:33 PM

What works for me - always allow myself to be imperfect. Done is far better than perfect.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 PM

I have to say I forge ahead. One year shortly after I started quilting I signed up for a free BOM. At the time, I hadn't realized it was a modern quilt which I don't care for. By forging ahead with it, I learned a whole lot of new things about quilting & when the top was finished & I was about to have a burning party, my granddaughter asked for it as she really liked it. So I got a backing I could deal with and quilted that side for her. She still loves it and takes real good care of it. Sometimes the lesson learned is just perseverance! :-)