Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair Bernina or buy something else? >

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:27 AM

Good luck with your Bernina. I just bought an Sparrow 30 and have been pretty happy with it (my understanding is the Eversewns are designed by a Bernina designer). I also just bought a Simply Red Bernina 215, because Bernina is the only company with a flat felled seam foot, which does a great machine binding. I like the look and finish better than the binding set I bought for my Janome.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:06 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Thanks Annette - I will try that with mine.
Sadly back to report that I left my 180e plugged in and turned on for 24 hours, but there was no change. There is backlight to the screen, but the machine never fully boots and none of the controls respond. Not sure what to do next as I didn't get a good feeling from my last (only) interaction with the closest Bernina dealer :-(

Michelle
Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

If the local repair person is not what you are comfortable with I would call Bernina and explain your situation.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 PM

I have an older 1630 that I love using and have never had a major problem with it. Unfortunately the local bernina dealer has warned me that she thinks this machine is unrepairable if I start to have problems and she is always suggesting that I buy a new one.. I am very disappointed with her approach and attutude towards older Berninas. I have been looking for another dealer but there aren't any within 200 miles. - Guess I will have to look further.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Hi Michelle,

Sadly, that means that one of the circuit boards are dead. Your 180e was one of the best machines Bernina ever made. If I compared it to the newer machines, it would be hard for me to choose to get a new machine or get the old one repaired. Technology has really advanced since your machine was made, and the new 7 Series machines have some amazing bells and whistles -- including the extra throat space. But the software on yours has great capabilities already.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:09 PM
mkc

Annette,

That confirms what we suspected. I'll just part out the feet and accessories on eBay.

I already have a machine with a larger throat - my Janome 7700 that I bought when the 180e first died, and after this experience I don't have a lot of confidence in Bernina longevity. A shame, because I did like the way this one sewed, but they are very pricey for what I've seen as questionable reliability (I worked in the computer hardware industry).

It was an outside hope on your suggestion of leaving it on for a day to see what happened. Thanks for sharing that :-)

Michelle
Old 11-05-2017, 11:19 AM
LRM

Hi everyone. I am the original poster on this thread and I have appreciated all the Bernina and repair discussion. My Activa went back to the shop and it IS the circuit board. They said the power board messed up the circuit board. They quoted me $200 for the repair - so not as high as I had feared. It's still in the shop, however. So I am sewing on my vintage machine - got to love a machine with NO electronic parts!
Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by LRM View Post
Hi everyone. I am the original poster on this thread and I have appreciated all the Bernina and repair discussion. My Activa went back to the shop and it IS the circuit board. They said the power board messed up the circuit board. They quoted me $200 for the repair - so not as high as I had feared. It's still in the shop, however. So I am sewing on my vintage machine - got to love a machine with NO electronic parts!
Glad to hear it's working out, but always good to have a backup.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Oh that's great news LRM- I'm a Bernina lover and want you to get it back to enjoy! But the old ones are fun, aren't they? I love my old Singers
Old 09-19-2019, 04:18 AM

Where in Pensacola was this repair shop? I have acquired a Bernina Artista 180 and it will not turn on.