Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What use for small irregular pieces of fleece? >

What use for small irregular pieces of fleece?

What use for small irregular pieces of fleece?

Old 11-07-2017, 08:00 AM
mac

You can always use a light interfacing that has glue on one side and put all your pieces on the interfacing the way you like it and then iron them down. You can then go over the edges with a zigzag stitch to keep the edges from fraying. It would be like a crazy/utility quilt.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Just be sure not to use too hot an iron; fleece can melt.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I haven't done it but I'm considering...... There is a rotary blade that I use to perforate the fleece to crochet an edge on it. Have thought of doing this with the small pieces I have and then joining those--kinda like a granny square afghan. Has anyone tried doing this?
I like your idea. You could use all the same yarn or use up scraps. Either way it would be pretty and useful.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:26 AM
mac

Originally Posted by mac View Post
You can always use a light interfacing that has glue on one side and put all your pieces on the interfacing the way you like it and then iron them down. You can then go over the edges with a zigzag stitch to keep the edges from fraying. It would be like a crazy/utility quilt.
Oops! For some reason I was reading fleece and thinking flannel. With my knee replacement surgery tomorrow, I think I am a complete ditz. Sorry.

But, even though it is not flannel, you could still sew use a dab of washable Elmer's Glue to tack them on a backing piece of material and then once it is dried, you can just sew around them to permanently tack them down. So the irregular shapes can still be used and just have them butted up against each other or just slightly (ever so slightly) overlap. If you overlap the pieces too much you will have lumps, which wouldn't feel so great in the blanket or whatever you are making. The fleece shouldn't shred like flannel. Afterwards, I would definitely wash the project to get the glue out.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM

I use small squares or rectangles to put stray threads/snippets on as they stick so well to batting. When full - throw.