Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas needed >

ideas needed

ideas needed

Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM

Rymer, My heart goes out to you. We have all lost loved ones and the pain and grief takes time. When you are ready there are so manny ideas that have already been shared. I met a woman who lost her nephew at a young age. His mother had kept his T-shirts. It was a real challenge for me to cur them, organize them and them create a memory quilt for her sister. I used stabilizer on the pieces to control the stretching as I sewed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-4921.jpe
Views:	134
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	4921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-4922.jpe
Views:	105
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	4922  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM

hi, from peewee--
I use things for quilt design pillows. Usually they aren't used- just displayed.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 PM

For my bear pattern I just used a McCalls or Simp. pattern and cut the shirt apart and layed the pattern on it the way the pattern of the shirt ran.then sewed it like the pattern said.I had enough left for a little hat and used the buttons.The jacket was plaid so it made acute bear but has my dad's smell.I will always treasure it. Good luck Dot
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM

I am sorry for your loss in the last 6 years i have lost 2 uncles and my grandmother all whom i was very close too and I still can't bring myself to go to the cemetery it hurts too much. I have a shelf in my living room on my entertainment center that is devoted to my grandma and has some of her things and a couple of pictures on it. I talk to her picture all the time. My heart goes out to you and your family.
I also found this site that may help you .
http://www.forevergreenquilts.com/me...uilt-tips.html LOL, Julie
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Maybe another idea is to make pillows or pillow cases. Then you can hug your brother any time you want.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM

I like what quilter jode said. I saved a small piece of my son's favorite blanket when he was a baby (it was practically falling apart). I am planning on making a bear and binding the edges with blanket binding to be the blankee for the bear for my son's first child. A memory of my son with something new. When my daughter was ill I made her a small fabric scrapbook square. It was a nine-patch with each section sewn with something different she liked or did. I cut her prom dress, a swatch from a dress when she was little, varsity letters from school, etc. Perhaps a memory quilt would be good - the fabrics could be used as background and you could applique onto it.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I think the bear idea is really good. Even tiny bits and pieces can be used to make book and journal covers, maybe you could even make a memory book, with photos and stories. Working on these memory projects will be challenging....but you will know in your heart when you are ready.

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I am in the same situation. My mom died a year old. She was diagnosed with alzheimer's and came to live with us the last 2 yrs of her life. I am probably going to use some of her clothes in several quilts, but will try similar fabrics in sample blocks first. I was also thinking about transfering pictures onto fabric to incorporate into the final quilts.
I am trying to get over my drepression over over her death before I start
Maybe doing something with your mom's stuff will help with the depression. a group of us were talking about how to get through a mourning period and several ideas were: a photo collage, scrapbooking or journalling about the person. quilting would fit in there too. don't let anyone push you to do it before you're ready, but it could help. I'll be praying for you.

I am attaching the picture of the quilt for my daughter. It is her silhouette in the middle. Perhaps you could start with a picture of your brother transferred onto fabric.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-5155.jpe
Views:	137
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5155  
Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rymer
Hi everyone
2 yrs ago in March my brother passed away. When he died, I took all of his clothes in the hope of someday making some either wall hangings or lap quilts for me and my family w/ them. there isn't enough to make full size quilts. problem is, he was a very hard working man, hard on his clothes and all he really had were sweatshirts, t shirts, and some hawaian print shirts. I just don't know what kind of pattern I can make w/ this stuff. I'm not sure I'm ready to cut his stuff just yet, his death was very painful for me but I wanted to get some ideas in my head. any thoughts? should I sew the clothes to a piece of muslin first?
and for those of you who have made such memory quilts....do you use them? display them? I guess I won't know what I will want to do with it until I make it and see how it makes me feel. I have his robe, which still smells like him. I want to put that into a quilt, but man I don't think I could possibly ever cut that up. how do you bring yourselves to do it?
I made a tshirt quilt out of a family's loved one tutlenecks and tshirts. you have to back them with interfacing because they'e stretchy. i used woven fabric on the back and then tied it. simple pattern because of time. My SIL had bears made out of my FIL jeans and shirt- i plan on making one from my dad's ties. he passed away a year ago. I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother. I will pray for your comfort.