Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two firsts for me.. >

Two firsts for me..

Two firsts for me..

Old 11-17-2017, 07:49 AM

The book you want to use is "The Extraordinary T-Shirt Quilt: The Scrapbook You Can Sleep Under " by Lauren Kingsland. I have made three t-shirt quilts using this book. It is very detailed and goes step by step with pictures. I won't use any other book. I had a question and emailed the author and she was gracious enough to respond. You won't be sorry.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Is there any way you can put your cutting mat on a table or counter? Your knees and back are going to hurt big time if you are on the floor. This, in turn, may cause you to have an accident with the cutter if your are tired/hurting.

The best cutter I find is the Olfa cutter that closes automatically when you release it. Mine has a lock that can be put on when it is opened or when closed. I usually do not lock when it is opened as I what it to close whenever I release my hand. I was using an older cutter the other day that stays open until you close it and it made me nervous that way. It is so easy to become inattentive after you get used to the cutter.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM

Absolutely press the interfacing on the tees before you cut out your square - otherwise you have to cut the interfacing as exact as the square - more work and more chance of ironing parts that hang over onto your ironing board. If you do some research, the experts suggest tricot (knit) interfacing applied so the stretch of the interfacing is opposite to the stretch of the knit in the tee. I have tried this as well as regular interfacing ---- the tricot makes the quilt much less stiff.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cinjosie View Post
Absolutely press the interfacing on the tees before you cut out your square - otherwise you have to cut the interfacing as exact as the square - more work and more chance of ironing parts that hang over onto your ironing board. If you do some research, the experts suggest tricot (knit) interfacing applied so the stretch of the interfacing is opposite to the stretch of the knit in the tee. I have tried this as well as regular interfacing ---- the tricot makes the quilt much less stiff.
Yes, please put the interfacing on first. Cutting the block first will cause you to stretch the shirts out of shape.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 PM

I have done 2 T-Shirt quilts. I find them time consuming but not hard. I have looked at videos on-line to get ideas on how they are done. This is one I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6vlC-qr4Q. I have a friend that was willing to let me use her iron press. Boy, was that a time saver. Have fun with it and would love to see the finished quilts when done.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
I think I would iron on the interfacing first because T-shirts stretch a lot and the interfacing keeps it from stretching. The other thing I find helpful is using a sashing between the blocks as T-shirts can get bulky in the corners when sewn together.
What she said. The seams prevent rolling because the T-shirt is held flat for ironing the interfacing down. Much easier.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 PM

I've made close to 25 t-shirt quilts. I usually will cut very roughly the parts I pant to use away from the neck and sleeves. then I put the interfacing on. I will then cut more precisely down to the size I want for the block. T-shirts will stretch on you so you need the interfacing on to stablelize before you cut to your precise cuts.

Also, be sure to read the instructions with your interfacing--I use a light weight Pellon or recently found a 54" wide woven fuseable interfacing that is often used in tailoring. Some will instruct that you use a high heat, others a medium heat. I find that sometimes I am given t-shirts that are a poly/cotton blend, or even sports jerseys that are all poly--you need to be sure to use an interfacing that works with the lower temps needed for them. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Well I have cut all the shirts for one quilt and then ironed on the interfacing today. Good news, I have enough interfacing for all - it came 20" wide and I am cutting 13" squares so using the extra 7" doubled up. I had no trouble cutting the shirts, I put the 13" square down and held it down or knelt on it while cutting, those shirts were not moving at all!

I did have to adjust the iron setting, did the sports shirts on low first, then the cotton Tees on a higher heat.

I wish I had a cutting table but I don't. I just do 2 or 3 shirts, then get up and move around, then go back and do more. Not a problem. I will be so glad when this is over, not my style of quilting at all. But I am glad I can do this for this dad, he is a really nice guy. And his kids will get the quilts this Christmas. He had previously given the shirts to another woman who was going to make the quilts, she had them so long she eventually passed away herself and he had to get them back from her family. Now I am known to procrastinate but I hope I am never that bad.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:31 AM

First one is done!! I will post pics when both are done. Not as bad as I thought it would be but I won't be in a hurry to do any more. Working on the second one today as I am home alone for Thanksgiving.

I am not really happy with the Pellon interfacing, I expected more from a brand name product. Had to go back and re-iron a lot of places before sewing.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:44 AM

can't wait to see!