Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fleece for Middle School Project >

Fleece for Middle School Project

Fleece for Middle School Project

Old 11-14-2017, 08:48 AM

lindaschipper....you are correct on Hobby Lobby coupons. The one I go to will just allow me to get the total of 40% off (versus the usual 30% off). That extra 10% helps a little.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:19 AM

Perhaps donations - put the word out. I know that I have fleece that I will never use.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM

just saw JoAnn's is having a 40% off fleece sale. I also subscribed via e-mail and got a 20% off coupon that can be used today only. You might want to sign-up and hopefully get some coupons via email. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:32 PM

My friend and I just finished 13 fleece blankets for a kindergarten class of kids who need an extra boost. We put two pieces together, cut the strips and tied every fourth strip. The kids will tie the rest at a parents night this week. We mentioned what we were doing at our local Lutheran Quilting group and received $90 in donations without even asking. People are so generous and love to give to this kind of activity. You can also check with your local Lions Club. Your project will be a memory maker...good for you!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 AM

There is another post titled something like "Black Friday/Fleece sale"...you might want to private message the originator of that post for additional information. Looks like she's planning on doing the same type of thing. Maybe you can share information with each other, find out the best deals, etc. Wonderful thing you both are doing!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 PM

Our camping group makes fleece lap blankets for a local nursing home. We take one yard of 60" fleece and cut it in half (width wise) making a 30 X 36" blanket. We cut off the selvages and crochet a blanket stitch around the edges. We use male prints for the men and female prints for the women . This way you get 2 lap blankets for the price of one yard. We have been told that the size is great because it does not get caught in the wheels if the patients are wheelchair bound. You wouldn't have to crochet the edges you could actually do a blanket stitch with embroidery thread or course crochet thread. I am so glad you are doing your project. I feel that the people in nursing homes are many times forgotten.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Some people actively dislike the "tied fringe" effect -
Old 11-18-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some people actively dislike the "tied fringe" effect -
True, me for one! Somewhere i saw a method using slits that end up looking like a braid instead of ties. another thought since this is a nursing home and many spend time in wheelchairs, make the blankets square 1 1/2 yd by WOF to keep blankets out of the wheels. I know near me when Joanns has their fleece at a good price they have bolts set aside so you can purchase by the bolt instead of by the piece. Maybe talk to your local store and see what they do.

When my DD makes them she will sew the selvedge edges together, turn RSO then only fringe the ends.

Last edited by bakermom; 11-18-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: adding another thought