Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What new notion or sewing tool is on your Christmas wish list? >

What new notion or sewing tool is on your Christmas wish list?

What new notion or sewing tool is on your Christmas wish list?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 AM

A Creative Grids Pineapple block ruler. Only it's no longer on my list because it was just delivered yesterday!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 AM

Does anyone have any experience or comment on the scan n cut. I was thinking it would be lovely to use when cutting out wool applique projects
Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
I've been drooling over the Scan N Cut too! Once you've had a chance to use it please let us know how you like it. Especially if you use it for cutting quilt block pieces!
I have a scan n cut for while now. I really like it for cutting for applique, but it is not really functional for normal piecing. I took a class that showed us how to use it, but it didn’t make sense. There are costly consumables such as the mat and blade that would need replacing a few times on a large quilt.

The machine does a lot of great things such as scan the fabric so you can fussy cut.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by dottiequilts View Post
Does anyone have any experience or comment on the scan n cut. I was thinking it would be lovely to use when cutting out wool applique projects
I have found Terial Magic is extremely helpful for applique. It’s similar to starch, but makes the fabric stiff as paper. I have only used it on cotton.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I have nothing on my list; primarily because I just purchase what I want or need. My sewing room is very well stocked. I could use a larger room, but that just is not possible at this time. So, I guess the only thing I need is: patience.
This is me, too. We're planning on moving some time next year too, so we're trying to do a "thingless" Christmas this year, or close to it. The gift I want is the gift of not having to sort and pack more things!

Plus, we had a terrible wildfire come through my city and destroy thousands of homes - I don't feel right buying a lot of unnecessary "stuff" this year. I'm telling people that what I want this year is for them to donate whatever they'd have spent on me to the local fire relief fund. I really don't need anything, and there are thousands of families here that need everything.

I'm still buying gifts for others, in fact making a concentrated effort to buy local to help support the local economy, but for me...I'll have nothing, please! "Nothing" is really easy to pack, will look great in the next house, and is just my size!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 AM

I bought the Accuquilt Studio 2 this year, so I consider myself well-gifted for 2017. I have a couple of dies on my wish list, but I buy what and do not wait for holidays. Your question made me realize what an incredibly blessed person I am to NOT need anything.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Craftsy doesn’t do gift certificates, which astounds me. Makes absolutely no sense.
Check with Craftsy. I don’t know about the “new” Craftsy but as far as I know, they are not changing much. In the past, you could purchase a class for a friend. Perhaps you still can. Not exactly a “gift certificate” but same results.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 AM

One of my favorite sewing notions is these wonderful Rip Tweezers. http://store.quiltworx.com/product-p/riptweezer.htm

When my friend recommended them highly, I thought why do I need tweezers and a ripper on the same unit? Well, you don't rip but once or twice and you appreciate these so much. That little piece of thread you can't catch with your fingernails is no problem for the tweezer part. The ripping part is a fine small ripper and will rip even tiny stitches. The only thing they could do to improve these is to add a light. I will tell you, you cannot use either end as a crowbar....they do break.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:20 AM

Fons and Porter Quarter Inch Rulers
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The Block-Loc rulers look like they might be useful/helpful.

What I would really like would be an assistant to help me go through my stuff and make what I don't care about go away. (Oh - that's supposed to be *me*????)
Bear, I hear you on needing a helper to sort and toss. I have a date with a cousin who does not sew, nor pull punches. She is going to help me purge the basement which has sewing related stuff in all 4 rooms.

Don't worry I will not toss in the garbage, I will donate the excess.

Her time is the best sewing gift I could receive.