Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you decorate for Christmas? >

When do you decorate for Christmas?

When do you decorate for Christmas?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM

We leave to visit family around December 18 and aren't back until around Jan 2. My son (11) loves Christmas decorating. If we didn't put it up early he wouldn't enjoy it at home. So we are setting it up tomorrow! Then we'll have several weeks of twinkly loveliness.

For us the holiday is very little about Santa and more about the spiritual, so really we don't get tired of it! I think also because of this, we have no problem listening to 'Christmas' music all year round!

Last edited by kristijoy; 11-21-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
Friend uses a very realistic looking artificial tree, then uses pine scented candles and spray. Actually fooled some people!
That would totally work for me, but unfortunately for my DH he's very sensitive to most artificial scents. He can't walk into a craft store this time of year - all those scented pinecones they put by the front door make his face go all red and blotchy and he starts to feel wheezy. (Which is too bad, I like those things!) He can't handle the detergent aisle at grocery stores either. Poor guy!

I've seen some very nice artificial trees, though. Some of them look more real than the real trees I've had!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 AM

We never put lights on our house, but I love seeing lights on other houses. Especially when it's foggy and cold, it all seems magical. DH & I will walk around our neighborhood at night to look at the lights.

I just know if we put lights up, they'd never come back down again. We'd be one of "those" houses!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:52 AM

I don't decorate as much as I did before when I hosted family Christmas, now my sons take turns hosting. I still provide the meals, traditional Mexican tamales and posole. I have always had real natural trees..but as expensive as they are now I am considering a fake tree. I just string up lights around the fireplace and other places in the house. I also string some outside and I have some light on a big Redwood tree in the corner of our property.

So I will decorate after Thanksgiving and take down mid January, except for the big tree in the corner. We have very heavy fog here in the winter and when we are coming up to our street the light from the tree helps guide us home and all the neighbors down the street have thanked me for it. So those lights stay on until mid February.

Our town Is the "National Christmas Tree City" Sanger, California. So the city have some trees lighted up all year on the main road through town.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

Yesterday we put up the Christmas tree right after the Thanksgiving meal. It will be taken down December 1. When we had a real tree, we would not put it up till right before Christmas and we would take it down right after. Now with an artificial tree we put it up the first weekend of December and take it down December 1 st. Since several of us will not be able to make the first weekend of December , it went up yesterday. A first for us.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:37 AM

Hubby grumbled about decorations but my son would come decorate the first week of December, but unfortunately he passed away last year so I just can't do it. If wasn't for daughter and Granddaughter I'd forget it and stay in bed! Sorry... holidays are hard, he loved Halloween and Christmas.....
Love to ride around and look at decorations
Old 11-24-2017, 08:42 AM

My husband is anti-outdoor decorations (meaning he doesn't want to put them up) so we don't do outside. I'll begin bringing the numerous boxes of Christmas decorations downstairs this weekend and decorate as I get to it. I may take next Friday off to do it. I'm 65 now. Since I'm still working, I figure can take some time off now and then.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

We cut down a tree every year about a week after Thanksgiving but this year it may be later because we're having our room painted. I do a lot of decorating usually. My husband does the outside lights and we do the tree together. It's fun. We have ornaments going back to our early days of marriage. Lots of memories!
Old 11-25-2017, 07:27 AM

Default We think alike!

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I like to enjoy each event for itself......Christmas deco probably first week of December. Stay up til epiphany......
Good for you! Epiphany is the 12th day of Christmas. A lot of people are not aware of that and don`t continue the Christmas season that long. In many countries it is celebrated almost as much as Christmas. Blessings to you.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Today.

Watson