Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas needed >

ideas needed

ideas needed

Old 02-11-2010, 05:27 PM

I like the idea of a teddy bear. I love my MIL 2 years ago and I am finishing a quilt that she started. Like you, I couldn't work on it right away but I had promised her that I would finish it. I am half done hand quilting it and working on it has really helped. Sometimes it is like she is near by. I feel better knowing that I am fulfilling the promise I made her. It has been healing for me to work on it. My MIL was a very special lady and I miss her.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM

My mother's been gone just over 2 years now. I have all of her clothes packed away. I just haven't found a pattern that speaks to me yet. I want to do it Tshirt style, and put pieced 'spacer' type things between the shirt pieces. Just waiting to find the right pattern.

My favorite uncle passed away just 3 weeks ago. He was everyone's favorite uncle and to him everyone was family, even those not related by blood. The whole funeral home was full and standing room only filled with those he loved. I knew there would be no way I could make something for everyone.....I brought home 3 large bags of his work Tshirts. I'll be making a Tshirt quilt for each of his children. I volunteered, a labor of love for the man that was like a father to me...to the children he left behind. As payment, the older son insisted I take ALL of my uncle's jeans. He knew people made jean quilts. Told me if I didn't make it for myself, find someone who would...my own memory quilt.

I want them to be used, not on display, so I will make them to be used. I plan on putting the photo from his obituary, because it was a really good one, on the label.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 PM

When my daughter got married, I made her a quilt from material from friends, aunts, uncles, brother, Daddy, myself and I bound it with my Mom's dress. It gave her a piece of my Mom (and Dad and brother) that was touchable, now that they were gone. She was a small child when they passed. It lay across the foot of her bed, for show...............until her divorce. Her fiancee used it one evening, and she sort of had a fit..... until he said, "this is the greatest blanket I ever covered up with". It's now a little tattered, and has been mended several times, but the love it held still warms their hearts.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

my father passed away 8 yrs ago, but he died because the nurse over dosed him with 800mg of chemo in stead of 80mg. this still is very hard because he was beatting all odds and the cancer was almost gone. I am very sorry for your loss, I know its hard, and at times I still talk to my dad. god bless you.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 PM

When my husband died in a car accident 10 years ago, I used his flannel shirts to make teddy bears for his children and grandchildren. Most of them were well-worn, some with holes and paint stains, etc. I didn't try to cut around those--he was a carpenter and I figured that since that type of work was part of his life, the teddy bears should reflect that too. The teddy bears were well received and I know they helped the kids--they could hug the bears whenever they wanted to.
My brother and step-father died within 11 days of each other nearly 7 years ago, and I wish I had asked for some of their shirts to be able to make teddy bears too.
I want to express my sincere sympathy for those of you who have lost loved ones, and are trying to deal with their deaths. I have been there, and it can be so devastating. I think using their clothes is a very positive way to keep the "feel" of them alive.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM

My heart aches for each one of you who have lost loved ones. I can relate to those of you who find comfort in wearing clothing of a loved one. My brother's slippers gave me an indescribable ( is it a word? ) sense of warmth and it felt like I was touching him ! Whew ! Still hard to talk about it and it was 30 years ago , he was 37 years old.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM

First off, my prayers are with you for the loss of your brother. I, too, lost my oldest brother in '02 and some days are good and then some days are just there. When we lost my DH's BIL, I asked for some of his things that they were going to toss out. I rec'd jeans and shirts so I made rag quilts for his two sons and rag pillows for g'kids. I still have one more to make for DH's sister and I will get it done, just wanted to give a little more time before I give sis her's. Maybe a pic in the center and blocks around made from his things might work. Just give yourself time.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 PM

Look at about.com/quilting for a link to make quilts out of T's or other clothing. She has loads of good ideas!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 PM

I recently saw a quilt that had the design parts of Ts & sweatshirts intermixed with regular fabrics. The 'Yellow brick road' works well for this. It uses 3.5" squares, rectangles 3.5x6.5 & 6.5" squares. Using more regular fabric than knits makes a nice quilt.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 AM

wow....you all are so amazing. I'm so sorry to hear of everyone's losses. Now you all have me crying!! I do know that when he passed and we were working on photo coloages for the funeral, it did help a little during those first few horrible days. He was only 40 & it was a tragic incident...one that will stay with me forever....but my son was born 2 months later (we didn't know what we were having) so I feel like he is a little part of my brother, somehow someone knew I was going to loose my brother and tried to give me a piece of him back. My son was sort of an "oops" I wasn't really sure if I wanted a 2nd child.....now I know why I have him! :) anyway thank you all for your stories, your words of encouragement and support! I really love the teddy bear idea and I think I might have a flannel shirt or two in those bags which would make a great bear. I'm actually excited about making the bears! thank you all again.....I can't believe I stumbled upon such an amazing group here! you have no idea how you've all touched me and I don't even know you! (ah therapy comes in the most unknown places, huh?)