Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-30-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
I do remember back on Grand Illusion,on FB someone had posted directions when asked. She did not give the right directions, when several hundred peoples quilts did not come together right, they were going to sue BH for loss of time and money. That was when all the orders of not giving info except from her site started to appear. The quilt police on Facebook have gone way overboard about everything. It's not even fun on there anymore, I just look at the pictures and skip the talk.
I enjoyed the FB page when it wasn't mystery time. So I'm with you....check out the pictures and make supportive comments. I don't typically post quilt things to FB anyway, because everyone on my feed sees it. It's not that what I post I wouldn't want people to see, but here at least you have to be interested in quilting to come visit the board. Most of my FB friends would never care about my quilting exploits, so I don't need to bother them!!!

I also don't envy Bonnie. It takes alot of guts and courage to be a public personality in whatever trade you are in. My DH has gone through that in the computer industry. You get all the good and the bad from people (and publicity) and somehow people think you should be a God, which of course you are not. Because of his experience, I always try to give Bonnie the benefit of the doubt and recognize that most of us would never be able to pull off being a public persona. I would much rather quilt in the quiet of my home knowing that if I make a mistake its just between me and my seam ripper!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:14 PM

Wow, you all have been busy and talkative, lol. I read the blog post and she is pretty adamant about those link up people abiding by the rules mainly because they are costing her a bunch of time since she has to read everyone's entry. Also the reason she is so adamant about going to her blog for the clues is because people that are doing the quilt are apt to make mistakes when sharing the information and then she hears all about it from maaadd quilters. I can't imagine all the aggravation she has to put up with when thousands of quilters are doing her mystery; and we all know how much havoc one aggravating quilt guild member can reek all by themselves. lol Love all the 9 patches. I hope to get mine done tomorrow. I have been busy with Christmas gift projects. I will be playing catch up.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Bonnie gets advertisers based on the volume of traffic to her site, which is how she gets paid for all the work in developing a mystery QAL. So of course she doesn't want specifics of the pattern (sizes, quantities) spread from person to person without visiting her site. She may not own the Quilting Board, but she does own her copyright of this pattern, and one of her stipulations for use of it is not to share the numbers online. ​Just the numbers. It is little enough to be asked to comply with. If you stop to think on it, it's how we pay her back... By going to her site to get the numbers.
Well said, Sewbizgirl. I sure hope you heal up quickly. You sound as though you are pretty level-headed about something that would make me collapse in a puddle of tears.

Leslie
Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 PM

I'm back again, after having done En Provence last year. Just got a few 9 patches done in time to post the linkup this week. Been enjoying reading the posts here for the last week or 2 and seeing pictures and a lot of the same names from last year. I figure I might not got done all the clues timely but I'll at least attempt a few units of each one and then maybe get kicked into high gear once the units start coming together. Here's a picture of what I've done so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584609[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ORL Week 1a.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	584609  
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 PM

Macybaby, congrats on finishing En Provence.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 PM

Sewbiz- hope your finger heals fast!

Macybaby congrats on the En Provence finish- major accomplishment there!

I’ve never done a BH mystery, but have followed along for the last several years and have enjoyed seeing everyone’s progress. I looked through my scrap stash this morning before heading to the barn — I think I’m going to try doing this one. Will try to get fabrics pulled this weekend!

Rob
Old 12-01-2017, 02:38 AM

I get BH blog a day late. So this a.m. I read one of the commenters and found my problem. I used the Accuquilt to cut some of the strips and they are dead on accurate. My hand cut ones are like BH tells us to cut: line on the fabric. Well, friends, you should not mix these and I did. I've got a hot mess.

Congrats to Macybaby on her completion.

Marcia
Old 12-01-2017, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'm looking forward to the next clue! So far I'm being good and sticking to my plan on not starting another quilt while working on this one, but it's so hard when I've got days to go before the next clue is out!

I'm not going totally without sewing - but quilting with the LA is just not near as fun as sitting at my Juki and stitching. And I do love cutting fabric too.

I'm considering the MM Newyear's mystery, trying to rationalize that it's not going against my resolve not to start something new. Since technically I wouldn't start working on it until the 1st of 2018 even if I did precut some fabric to be ready.
can I ask what the MM New Years mystery is? I searched the challenge board, but couldn’t find it. I need to take on another project like I need another hole in my head, but i can’t seem to resist a mystery.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 AM

The link for the MM Mystery is on post #552 (this thread). I like doing these most when there are others and I can share what I'm up to. One of the main reasons I do the BH mystery.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:51 AM

Oh no Battle Axe! I did the same thing last year and had a huge mess too. Maybe make your quarter inch even less than a quarter.