Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner, Novice or Expert >

Beginner, Novice or Expert

Beginner, Novice or Expert

Old 11-29-2017, 03:14 PM

I was watching Fons and Porter recently when some one said, we all start as novices, then move to intermediate, but rarely do any of us call ourselves advanced. This is from someone who is paid to teach us to quilt. She makes awesome show quilts and still calls herself intermediate.
As far as the Craftsy class, assess where your skills are in the area of the class. For me, if it was an advanced piecing class I would jump on it. Whereas and advanced fmq class, I wouldn’t even consider it, but those are my skills. You need to assess yourself.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Well, I asked because I saw some Craftsy classes I am interested in buying that are for "advanced". I put them on my wish list but was wondering when one becomes "advanced".
I think only you can decide when you feel like trying a new technique or project. Sometimes if you just jump in without overthinking it, you might surprise yourself, especially if it is something you really want to do. Don't worry about labels, they are just a guideline. For a Craftsy class you might be able to ask questions of the author to help you decide if you want to tackle it. Or as someone else said, ask for a refund if it doesn't work for you. Whatever you decide, quilting is all just taking one small step at a time.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 PM

I don't have the answer, I've been quilting for almost 14 years and still don't consider myself an expert. I love to paper piece, do pretty good at the piecing and can meander fairly decently, I do machine applique with the intention of learning needle turn, but haven't yet. LOL
Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 PM

NZ--it's a good question, and I think you were probably intending for the answers to be more objective ( skills learned ) rather than as value judgments.

I've never taken a Craftsy class, so I'd be curious like you, as to what distinguishes the beginner from the intermediate or advanced. I would guess the classes for 'advanced" will feature terms and techniques that are taken for granted to the students, and won't have to be taught , explained or reviewed .
Old 11-30-2017, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
NZ--it's a good question, and I think you were probably intending for the answers to be more objective ( skills learned ) rather than as value judgments.

I've never taken a Craftsy class, so I'd be curious like you, as to what distinguishes the beginner from the intermediate or advanced. I would guess the classes for 'advanced" will feature terms and techniques that are taken for granted to the students, and won't have to be taught , explained or reviewed .
I think zozee has hit the nail on the head with the class assessment. So for you, NZ, while you may feel some of your actual 'skills' may be lacking (and I'm not saying they are - just your personal assessment of your own skill level), if you are confident in the terminology I would think you should be fine with an advanced class.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:15 AM

I think these terms are so subjective and difficult to define. I think we all understand novice or beginner. It means to start at the beginning and learn about the machine, fabrics, patterns etc. Then we all enter a period of application and growth and building process. I think so much of the terminology has to do with how we judge ourselves on the things we make. Some have said they hate hand work and other absolutely love it. One is obviously and expert and the other not so much. Some have an artistic bend and launch into spectacular art quilts that some of us admire so much but could never do. I am so glad that we all have opportunity to improve our skills and move to new heights. I always feel sad about poor pattern writing in published patterns because they can be so discouraging. We should be able to expect success when following the directions of a pattern. Regardless of where we are on the journey or our desired goal I hope we can all consider ourselves successful and happy with our work.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:42 AM

I've only been quilting less than a year and a half, so still consider myself a beginner. Even so, I have designed my own paper pieced block (a Christmas stocking), designed my own applique blocks (all raw edge, have not learned turned applique yet, but should be able to have someone in my quilt group teach me soon), and my hand quilting is about 10-11 stitches per inch (depending on the batting). However, when it comes to quilting, I want it to be more fun than work, so I have not attempted very complex blocks or quilts yet, and not sure I will ever have the desire to do so. I love a simple quilt, and want mine to be used until they fall apart. If I spend the next 50 to 60 years making nothing but that kind of quilt, I will be happy.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:38 PM

I am a very good appliquer, better than a book or two from "professionals", but I cannot paper piece, no matter how
I try. I can FMQ reasonably well, I hand quilt very well, but I am by no means an expert except in Applique, so I guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I do not attempt to quilt on my DSM.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 PM

As far as the Craftsy classes .. I think they use that term to let you know that some of the basic quilting skills will be assumed or briefly touched on. For example I purchased the first walking foot class by Jackie Gehring. In that class she spends a great deal of time explaining various walking feet available, the measurements on each foot, etc before she even got into the actual quilting. In her next class she briefly revisits these points but assumes some previous knowledge. A paper piecing class would be another good example .. a beginner class should go over all the supplies and why they are used and how they are used. An advanced class will assume you have the supplies and basic knowledge of their use.
As far as labeling yourself ... only label quilts . If you love what you’re doing and having fun.. you are a quilter. Some of us are hand piecers or hand Quilters .. some are just say no to appliqué and some seek out their next appliqué project .. some love to send out their quilt tops to their favorite longarmer and some would never pay to have their quilt quilted. All are Quilters ... all of us
Old 12-02-2017, 03:37 AM

I definitely consider myself a beginner/novice. I’m not even consistent on cutting and finished block size yet. Can I label myself daring beginner?