Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! >

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Old 12-02-2017, 06:03 AM

This is a great thread - even if started in 2011!! I will add here that I use empty Crystal light containers - they are just the right size to hold a rotary cutter for transport to class and I also use them next to my machines to hold seam rippers, scissors, and styluses.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
This is a great thread - even if started in 2011!! ...........
Thank you!

Reading of your Crystal Light containers for rotary cutters
made me think of my rotary blade disposal system ...... a piggy bank!

Yup, a piggy bank ... it just happened to have a big enough slot for the blades.
Likewise broken/bent/used needles and pins go in there.

It sits on the corner of my sewing machine and is big enough that it'll be a long time before it is full.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:45 AM

A baby monitor to put by the embroidery machine. When I have to walk away,(Like to check the computer) it will let me know if there is a problem with the stitching.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM

My latest great find is 3M non skid tape for bathtubs and showers. Get the clear coarse grit stuff. Amazon has it. Cut little pieces about a quarter inch wide and a half inch long (or a bit smaller) and stick one piece in each corner, on the underside of your cutting rulers. If it's a long ruler you can put a piece in the center of the long sides, near the edge. Your rulers will absolutely, positively not slip, guaranteed! You can't even slide the ruler a smidgen. It has to be picked up and repositioned.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:56 PM

I have only read 3/4 of this,so might have missed some. we are RVing fulltime so perhaps some of mine needs are a little different. I have 3 - 26" bakers sheets. These all nest and fit beside the shower when we are travelling. One is holding the red strips and the other the cream for my log cabin. The third gets turned upside down on the dinette table and with a towel over it becomes my big ironing board. My small ironing board is an old kitchen cutting board 13" long set up on the bar with a guest towel on it. Ferrero roche make a box that is about 10" square, if you turn it upside down the logo is on the bottom and the 'top' is now clear. It holds the two smaller sizes of thread. My old metal 6" drafting ruler has sharp corners (Ouch) but so crisp and accurate. My threads now go into an plastic pudding cup that my husband buys. My small scissors, seam ripper, pen, pencil, etc are contained in the top of a deli container. All my projects are stored in the zippered heavy plastic bags that initially held your sheets or duvet. With those as one project is complete and another one started, my storage space remains the same. Great thread.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 AM

I got this baby feeding dish for $1.00 at a thrift store. I use it to store pins, mini clips, and small scissors in each compartment. Just found one selling for $34 on eBay, maybe I should consider selling!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584717[/ATTACH]

I use Crystal Light containers for hexie work and some small embroidery work I do for church.
A secretary desk displays my precuts on the top and fabric yardage in the drawers.
We made a dresser into an ironing station with lots of storage under.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	584717  
Old 12-03-2017, 03:28 PM

MomtoSDR: I think your baby dish is worth more than that. Important question is whether your stopper is ceramic. Great find and super colour.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
MomtoSDR: I think your baby dish is worth more than that. Important question is whether your stopper is ceramic. Great find and super colour.
The stopper is a very hard cork.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:20 PM

haven't been here for a while, just happened to see a post reminder with this topic. I just bought some orange, cranberry huge cookies at Costco. The container is perfect to hold quilt squares, strips, what ever i am working on at the moment. Clear plastic so i can see what is in it. Big too. smile.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Computer - for music and YouTube how-tos
Mallet - for pounding thick corners
Large Wooden Picture Frame - covered with cardboard, batting and upholstery fab for small pressing pad
PVC tubes - for frame above my sewing machine
Large clips (for gluing wood pieces together) - For clipping large quilt to PVC frame
Shower rings - to hold strips of wide elastic for clipping quilt to moveable rings on PVC for FMQ
Window - for light box work
Large TV cabinet (with wire shelves inside) - for my fat quarters and pre-cuts
Exacto knife - cutting shapes for FMQ
Newspaper tablet - for FMQ patterns pinned to quilt to sew over
Printer - for FMQ patterns on newspaper
Calculator - for obvious reasons
Scrap paper - for jotting down measurements
Elmer's (washable) glue - for glue dots when appliqueing
Eyebrow tweezers - for picking out cut threads
Long metal ruler - for measuring
Extra long Measuring tape - for finding width and length of fabric/quilts
Solid insulation sheet - 4'w x 5'l - Covers a window for my design wall
Curtain rod - holds my flannel sheet, which drops over the solid insulation (can pin into it)
Two chest of drawers (6 drawers) & 3/4-inch plywood top for my cutting table. (The dressers sit at each end - drawers out - for plywood. Large storage underneath with cloth to hide storage.
King-size sheet - lays on floor under quilt sandwich for over spray of glue
Rubber (drawer liner) - used under my sewing machine pedal (helps keep it in place much better than the rug material).
Peg board - for supplies
Paint brushes - I use the long pointed end for pushing out seam allowances for applique.
Small paint brush - to get lint out of deep small places in my sewing machine
Spray bottle
Measuring cup - for filling my iron with water
Retractable measuring tape (from tool section) - for making long measurements
Bar soap (thin pieces) - to mark quilt tops
Tracing paper - to copy FMQ designs from books
Micro fiber cloths - to pick up lint and thread pieces in one scoop
Dish towels (100% cotton) - pressing cloths
3-M glue on hooks - I use them on my PVC frame to hang a photocopy of my quilt pattern
Camera

Various containers - for pens, rulers, tweezers, fray check (upside down), Elmer's glue (also upside down. Keeps nozzle from drying out).