Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting designs that highlight well matched points? >

Quilting designs that highlight well matched points?

Quilting designs that highlight well matched points?

Old 12-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Sorry to interject here but feline fanatic your quilts and quilting a breathtaking. Wow! I am so impressed and so humbled by your work.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:54 AM

This is the stencil that Quilt30 mentioned, above:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584996[/ATTACH]
While it is attractive and interesting, I feel like is likely to take the focus away from the precise piecing. Do other folks feel the same way?

One quilting design that I've seen on multiple Lone Star quilts is this one (excuse my messy drawing - you get the idea):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584997[/ATTACH]
Even more than the first stencil design, this softens the quilt by adding lots of curved lines. But, I think those curved lines make the eye notice the piecing less, which is not what I'm looking for. I think, for my purposes, I'm better off having the quilting emphasize the straight lines.

One idea that I've played with sketching is putting narrow diamonds in the diamond pieces:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584998[/ATTACH]
This definitely keeps things linear. I'm not sure if having the quilting lines going through the seam intersections will detract or enhance from the piecing.

I think there's a good chance I may go with doing only SITD quilting around all the diamonds in the main star, but I'm enjoying mulling over all the options, and I appreciate folks' input. Thank you!

Last edited by patricej; 02-18-2024 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 AM

Here is the link to Sneed's quilt pictures: Finally, a Pineapple Christmas Quilt

Wow! That is a lovely and interesting quilting design. (And the color choices and piecing of the quilt look great, too!) Lots of food for thought there! I like how quite a few of the smaller pieces have just SITD quilting - really works great here. The fancy quilting in the larger squares is lovely. Your diagonal lines through the white sections were a great choice. That's a quilt to be very proud of!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:03 AM

Welcome to the QB...you’ve certainly joined a wonderfully talented, creative and helpful group of people I hope you will post photos of your quilt after you have quilted it.