Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment >

Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment

Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment

Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
However, with my new machine, I was told not to do that. It's suppose to adjust automatically...but I really need some control over it.
It drives me crazy when salespeople and technicians tell us NOT to adjust something. It's the same thing as the bobbin tension. If we're NOT supposed to adjust it, then why does the manufacturer make a knob or button that does exactly that?!?!?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 PM

I have been working on a bag with multiple layers of foam stabilizer and have had to adjust the presser foot pressure for the first time ever.
It is an easy setting adjustment on my machine so I can't see any reason why I wouldn't.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:54 PM

I adjust it a lot on all of my machines. Whether quilting or sewing garments or home dec items I test the needle, thread and pressure before I start a project. I try for the least amount of pressure I need. I was not good about doing this when I was younger but now I take the time to sample before plunging ahead.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Yes, I adjust it based on the materials I’m working with.

Rob
Old 12-12-2017, 07:44 PM

I adjust the machines that are adjustable. My Elna is supposedly self adjusting which is why she can't quilt. Too much pressure shifts pieces just as they reach the presser foot. She did a imperfect job of stitch in the ditch for the same reason, which is why I purchased vintage machines that can be adjusted.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 PM

I'm just learning how to adjust the pressure on my machines but my DD's machine is supposed to be self adjusting. Well, as someone stated above it puts way to much pressure on the quilt so she can't use it for quilting at all. Also the needle bar does not go up very high and she has a hard time getting the quilt under the foot in the first place.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 PM

And, can anyone tell me the best way to test for correct pressure?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
It drives me crazy when salespeople and technicians tell us NOT to adjust something. It's the same thing as the bobbin tension. If we're NOT supposed to adjust it, then why does the manufacturer make a knob or button that does exactly that?!?!?
I agree, if it is on the machine it has a purpose
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Power Poster

It seems that the instruction books give little info on how to adjust the presser foot pressure.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:04 AM

Usually, I decrease the pressure for thicker items. In terms of testing, it’s more a matter of whether or not the materials are feeding correctly. For example, if the layers are being shifted away from each other in a quilt sanwich, then decreasing the pressure should help. If the item is not feeding, then it may be that the pressure needs to be increased. Thinner items may need increased pressure to keep them feeding properly. All but one of my machines has an adjustment for pressure and I can tell if it needs to be increased because the fabric doesn’t feel like it is being adequately “grabbed” by the feed dogs- if the feed dogs are up and functioning correctly, then the reason it feels that way is because the presser foot isn’t holding the fabric down firmly enough.

Sometimes it takes a little experimentation to get it right, but on most modern machines and some vintage machines it is a dial with numbered settings, so pretty straight forward.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-13-2017 at 03:08 AM.