Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas needed >

ideas needed

ideas needed

Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by schwanton
I am attaching the picture of the quilt for my daughter. It is her silhouette in the middle. Perhaps you could start with a picture of your brother transferred onto fabric.
oh that's such a nice quilt! I love the silhouette!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
Oh, crying is bad. no crying. take deep breaths and have some cold water!!
I was just looking through some of my sewing things (trying to clean!!) and I found a pattern called "libearty sitter". I think the maker was grandmas attic. Anyway, I used to make my daughter bears from this pattern and the good thing about it is that you make fur feet, fur hands and a fur head, but the body is made out of fabric, which can easily be a flannel shirt or even an hawaiian shirt. You can't change the bear's clothes, because the clothing is also the body, but the bear is filled with fiberfill or cotton and it will sit very cutely wherever you put it. (which is why it is the libearty sitter). If you are interested in having the pattern, I would be happy to send you mine. I think it would be perfect for your needs if you would like to do a bear. I'm not sure if the pattern is currently in production...it may easily be discontinued, as my baby girl is now 24!! (I never get rid of patterns) If you would like it, please email me at [email protected] and give me your address.
thank you so much! I would love the pattern! Is it easy for a beginner?? I will email you when I get home tonight...I'm not able to email from work. if I can figure out my new stupid blackberry....I might be able to email you from work...if not it will be when I get home. thanks SO much! I really appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by amma
The Hawaiian prints could be cut into shirt applique pieces, and sew them onto fabric squares, Maybe use them in the border? You can also applique the tshirt and sweatshirt fabric onto squares... Are you wanting to use the sayings on them or just the fabrics? If it is the fabrics, you could cut them into the shapes of tshirts and sweatshirts too.
his t-shirts were all pretty much plain or had a small logo on them. I think I have one of his work shirts that has his name on it, I'd like to incorporate that into my quilt. the bear idea appeals to me so much because I can make more of those....he has 2 sons (one of which just had a baby) so the bear made from his grandpas clothing would be awesome!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 AM

My FIL passed away a bit over a year ago and I asked for his clothes and was able to make 20 lap tops for the kids and adult gkids; as well as pillow cases for therest of gk and ggk---had to add LOTS of fabs for this big project - used Scotts Plaid pattern- was quickest cutting, quickest sewing and best use of the fabs----I loved HAVING those clothes w/me and did struggle a bit giving them up but what a joy--most are being used as lap quilts, some as display, and some as focal point in rooms! Good luck- truely a labor of love----but not understood by many in the fam either- ouch. emptynest
Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Deb Thies
My FIL passed away a bit over a year ago and I asked for his clothes and was able to make 20 lap tops for the kids and adult gkids; as well as pillow cases for therest of gk and ggk---had to add LOTS of fabs for this big project - used Scotts Plaid pattern- was quickest cutting, quickest sewing and best use of the fabs----I loved HAVING those clothes w/me and did struggle a bit giving them up but what a joy--most are being used as lap quilts, some as display, and some as focal point in rooms! Good luck- truely a labor of love----but not understood by many in the fam either- ouch. emptynest
20 laptops? oh my you must have had a lot of clothing!! that is amazing!
I need to go through those bags again to see what I have. I don't think my mother would appreciate anything like that.....we can't even say my brother's name around her, it's too emotional for her so I'm not sure what to do. it's like I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't with her. but my sister will cherish it for sure. It's just me, my sister, my mother, and my 2 nephews I'll make something for. I dont know if i'll make something for my brother's widow......I feel like she's moved on. I love her w/ all my heart but I don't see her wrapping herself up in one of these quilts or displaying it. she got rid of everything they had together.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 AM

I am so sorry for all of you and your loss. I think that when you make the quilts that their loving memories will surround you with love!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My mom passed away 2 years ago.I was lucky enough to get all of her clothes. One of the things that we had in common was quilting she did queen & king size and did stippled like you wouldn't believe. And I prefered making wall sized quilts. But anyways I used some of her clothes for this wall hanging I haven't figered out yet what to do withthe rest of it?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 AM

quilt I made fr my Moms clothes, but it's still unfinished so excuse the pins It's called " Show and Tell " and the quilters are going to be holding smaller quilts that they made
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-3856.jpe
Views:	109
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	3856  
Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM

My suggestion for the clothes is making a small wall quilt that doing something he either did for a living or what he really enjoyed doing with his family or you eg camping, beach, playing a certain game etc.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
I found the memory panel i made in honor if Helen..My gramma
here is a link to pictures of the process..
the frame is made out of a suede..it is my favorite piece.Kim

http://picasaweb.google.com/strut526...eat=directlink
I think this is beautiful!! What a nice way to remember her!!