New Mansion Treadle

Old 12-18-2017, 01:01 PM

Orange thread, cool The bobbin will fit in the bobbin winder mounted on the front of the pillar The end without the belt pulley should slide towards the needle to let you slip the bobbin in . There are holes for the bumps on the ends. Belts surprisingly can still be found at many modern Sewing machines shops, but you will have to fit it to your machine. shape, measure, cut and punch a hole for the staple. A bit intimidating, but we can walk you through it when you are ready. Your 200xxxx # on the slide is your serial #.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Top of the line Davis Underfeed, model J which isn't real common. Most likely made in the early 1910's. Butler Brothers, a mail order house similar to Sears. sold the Mansion and New Mansion line. Follow the manual carefully. search the internet and use your Red Eye 15x1 needles and understanding will replace intimidation.

Jon
Old 12-18-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Top of the line Davis Underfeed, model J which isn't real common. Most likely made in the early 1910's. Butler Brothers, a mail order house similar to Sears. sold the Mansion and New Mansion line. Follow the manual carefully. search the internet and use your Red Eye 15x1 needles and understanding will replace intimidation.

Jon
Thank you so much Jon! Yes, my manual had a warranty certificate stamped "Butler Brothers" tucked inside. Thank you for the specific model. That will be extremely helpful.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sullivan Stitches View Post
Thank you so much Jon! Yes, my manual had a warranty certificate stamped "Butler Brothers" tucked inside. Thank you for the specific model. That will be extremely helpful.
If there's a date on the warranty I'd sure like to know what it is. I collect the information and have 0 recorded warranties for model J..

Jon
Old 12-19-2017, 02:21 AM

This won't help with how to use your machine but will be fun. I have a Wheeler Wilson from the 1890's, I looked it up on the Smithsonian website. I'm not sure if it's .gov or .com, you may just google it. It was so fascinating. I feel like I have something that is really part of history. Enjoy!
Old 12-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Banned

Allow me: http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...wing-Machines/
Old 12-20-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
If there's a date on the warranty I'd sure like to know what it is. I collect the information and have 0 recorded warranties for model J..

Jon
Sadly, no date on the warranty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171220_101818.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	585771  
Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 AM

I'm sorry for my ignorance, I did manage to copy my sewing machine manual, and have flipped through it, but I can't seem to identify what kind of bobbin to be shopping for. All my internet research leads me to Vertical Feed Davis machines. I'm hoping once the holidays are over I can really dig in and learn. Thanks for bearing with me.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 AM

your machine will take the same shuttle and bobbin as the Davis Vertical Feed machines. There is one 3/4 size Davis machine that takes a short shuttle and bobbin, but other than that, the Davis VS machines (regardless of feed) use the same shuttle and bobbin. You have to find vintage ones, but they come up pretty often on eBay.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Hi all, sorry if it's not proper to tack this on my old post, but I wanted to update you since you've been so helpful. Thanks to my mechanically inclined husband, my machine is clean, all oiled up, and he got it running. I did several test strips and had to adjust the tension a bit, but my machine runs beautifully. I'll be basting a small quilt in the next few days and plan on stitching in the ditch to quilt it on my treadle for some good practice.
Thanks for all the encouragement and the great resources in other threads.