What size is your

Old 12-19-2017, 09:39 PM

I have my sewing machine in a small bedroom (maybe 10 x 10). It is way to small!!!

I would love more space for cutting (and a place for an accu-quilt) and if I had more than one machine would need another table or two. I would also like to have 'sitting' space for a guest or family member to hang out with me and do-their-thing. My son often builds legos on the floor while I sew and we listen to an audio book together. Not much room to walk around with legos on the only floor space!!!! My quilting frame is in our living room, which thankfully my family co-exists with!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
I have an 18 X 30 foot she shed for my studio. I have 2 tables for 4 sewing stations + my APQS Millennium on a 12 foot frame. I've got a really nice size cutting station & ironing station as well. I've got plenty of room for everything.
I love this!!!!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:17 AM

I will tell you right now. If you our a quilter. Get the room as big as you can afford. You can never have to much room. If the house is going to have a huge basement take the whole basement.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:22 AM

Mine is 9'x9' ... very, very tiny ... and DH and I both share the space for our computers ... and there's not a blank wall in the room ... and I have multiple hobbies (not just sewing/quilting). Needless to say, "cramped" is an understatement!

I had my quilting frame set up in one of the bedrooms, but we took it down a few weeks ago since we're planning to put the house up for sale soon. Hopefully when we buy a new place, I'll be able to get a gigantic craft room or a "she shed".
Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM

In the house we lived in for 20 years in California, my sewing room was 9'x10' and it seemed cramped. In our new home in Washington state, my sewing room is 12'x13' and I have LOTS of space in there!
Old 12-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Marilyn, I have a large bedroom that I turned into my sewing room. It's not as large as our room but it's large enough for two people if it was for the intended use. I have 2 machines set up, one is a large table and the other is a sewing machine cabinet type for my Bernina.
I also have a double closet. My husband made shelves for me and it's great- holds a ton.
I don't have a longarm so I don't know how much space you need but I'm sure you do.
How exciting! Be sure to post pics.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 PM

My sewing room is an odd shaped room. I think it is 9 x9 but it is L shaped so its just strictly for me to sew in. That being said I also have "visitation rights" to the longarm at my parents. That room is 25 ft x the width of the whole house (110ish). The table for that is 18ft, so once you have the room on the ends for you to walk around you need the extra few feet.

The longarm at one end, the embroidery machine & serger on the other end & a Martelli cutting table in the middle.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Since we moved here 2 years ago I have had my own sewing room. It is just a small bedroom but I love it! I guess I could measure it but, it is small and has three windows so lots of natural light. I have a lot of sewing machines but just keep two out right now. We also have a basement for the first time, so the rest of my "stuff" can be down there. It is a walkout, with a window and a door, and some rooms framed out but not finished. If I ever decide if I want a long arm, I will have the room with the window drywalled and put it there. right now I am fine with what I have and so happy in that little room!! Also, I don't have a stash but my little bits of fabric are in a couple of bins on shelves in the basement. It isn't damp down there and we don't have a pest problem. I am way more productive than when I didn't have my own space in the other house. My mojo still comes and goes, but, I don't mind that.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 PM

I better quit reading as I am starting to feel deprived! haha... No, just joking, this has been an interesting read.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch View Post
My sewing room is an odd shaped room. I think it is 9 x9 but it is L shaped so its just strictly for me to sew in. That being said I also have "visitation rights" to the longarm at my parents. That room is 25 ft x the width of the whole house (110ish). The table for that is 18ft, so once you have the room on the ends for you to walk around you need the extra few feet.

The longarm at one end, the embroidery machine & serger on the other end & a Martelli cutting table in the middle.
Now that 25 ft x 110 is way more than I could ever fill, but would I love trying??? Oh yes! Think of all the fun sewing with friends that you could do. There could be 6 or 8 of those 8 foot long folding tables and then there would still be room. You could almost hold retreats in a room like that. I seem to get lots more done when I have focused quilters around me.