Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New Craftsy Program >

New Craftsy Program

New Craftsy Program

Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 AM

I've signed up for several classes over the years but truthfully I haven't been impressed with any of them. There is no way I would pay $14.99/mo. I just hope the classes I've already paid for will still be available.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 AM

I am retired and try to keep my recurring monthly expenses down. I prefer to buy the the classes I want WHEN I want.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:38 AM

For classes I like the subscription model better than purchasing the individual classes, because I'd hope that once I'd taken the class and practiced it a little I wouldn't need to go back to it. Anything I'm going to use over and over again (like music and some movies) I want to own and don't want to have to pay every month to have access to. If it's something I'm only going to use once or just want to check out (like a lot of TV shows), then I'm fine with a monthly subscription like Netflix.

One of the reasons I've been reluctant to sign up for classes is that I'm worried I won't like the class and it won't be worth the money. This would allow me to check out a class and move on to another one if I didn't like it and in the end would probably be a better deal for me. It would be nice if they also let people purchase classes for permanent ownership. Kind of like how you can check out something on Netflix but then buy it on DVD or ITunes.

I don't plan on signing up, however, because I know I wouldn't use it unless I made a real effort to block out some time for the classes.

"I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice," but if you purchased a class and the original agreement was that you own it forever, then they can't take it away from you just because they changed their business model. If the original agreement had some weasel words in it, though, who knows. That's one of the reasons I don't like to "own" things that I don't actually have possession of. Sometimes you think you own them only to discover that the company can take them away from you. And if the company goes bankrupt, then the things will disappear, and I doubt there's any recourse.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:45 AM

I've purchased a lot of classes in the past but I did the trial offer and I've decided to do the one year subscription because.....there are a lot more classes I would like and now I can look at all of them. If after a year I decide it is not worth it then I will not continue. This is my Christmas present to myself this year.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:51 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I almost started one as I got the email about the subscription promotion too. There is one class I want, but that's all. So it's not for me either.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:48 AM

Not for me, I don't cook much, do not do needle work, nor do I make clothing anymore. I only buy the classes that interest me when they are on sale.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM

not a good fit for me--i do have a few Craftsy classes on quilting, not interested in the others offered. But I find I don't often go back and look at them and since it seems I get emails for "sales" pretty often, if there is something I want I'll wait for a sale. But for someone that has varied interests and lots of time to take the classes--go for it!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I just posted about this today. Mine was only $10 a month if paid for a year. You save $60. A class with a national teacher on average $65 not counting supplies plus the drive to and from. My last class with a national teacher was $70 class fee, $35 kit fee that included her book and ruler, an hour drive there and back for a six hour class with lunch break. Of course I learned a new technique and lots of quilting tips. I watched that same class from the same teacher on Craftsy in the comfort of my sewing room. If I don't watch but two classes in a year I come out ahead.