Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with directions on table runner pattern. >

Help with directions on table runner pattern.

Help with directions on table runner pattern.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:52 AM

Default Help with directions on table runner pattern.

I am starting to cut out blocks for the Triangle Frenzy Swirl table runner however I do not understand the directions in the pattern when it comes to cutting one "diamond AB". I have read it at least 20 times and am no closer to being ready to cut it out. Has anyone made the Triangle Frenzy Swirl runner and if so how did you do this step?? I emailed the fabric designer 5 days ago but no answer yet. Help

Thanks,
Kelela

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-22-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-22-2017, 04:30 PM

I had the same problem with that center piece. You need to follow the directions exactly & don’t overthink it.
I don’t have the pattern right in front of me but once you cut the first grp of triangles, you turn the next one upside down right up against the previous one with no space between then. I actually draw a line around that combined pc. Before I cut it. I have cut paper templates to use to be sure I have them right.
I hope I haven’t mislead you in any way. I’ve now made sev. of them.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:40 PM

Does AB mean to put A and B together, right sides together?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Pcs

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
Does AB mean to put A and B together, right sides together?

No. NO. It’s supposed to be ONE pc. I just cut one out & because of your question, I was especially careful. Fortunately for me, in the past I cut out an acrylic template of A & B as one pc.
The directions will tell you when it’s time to do that AB pc. After you do a Pc B, (#7) lay your 60 ruler in Pc A position. Cut only L side. I put pins in fabric at R side corners of ruler. This is just to help keep your flipped ruler in place. Remember this is supposed to be cut out as one pc. Flip the ruler over being sure to line it up with pins. Then cut on R side. You now have your AB pc. Do not move your fabric during this process. If you do, it’s easy to get your pattern messed up til your stripes won’t work. I’m assuming you’re using border print.

After all pcs are cut out, sew 3 triangles for each end together. Sew the 4th one to AB pc. That gives you a straight seam to join the halves together. Pay attention to the pattern of every pc. because it’s easy to mix them up.

No no matter how many of these I’ve made I found I had to trim some seams to make them fit. I carefully match stripes of the border print so it’ll look good.
Laying the pcs out can also be a puzzle so turn things til you get your frenzy.

I hope some of this helps. I mentally tried to run thru what I just did. Good luck.
Pat
Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 PM

I didn't have the sound on, but this lady made a Triangle Frenzy in a couple of minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEyUqP9drA

Or maybe this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJE...g2vdoQi4dw6PS6 OOPS This one is mostly about picking out fabrics.

Or this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJhJ9jwIBY

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-22-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Frenzy

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I didn't have the sound on, but this lady made a Triangle Frenzy in a couple of minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEyUqP9drA

Or maybe this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJE...g2vdoQi4dw6PS6 OOPS This one is mostly about picking out fabrics.

Or this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJhJ9jwIBY
That first one had the video sped up. I noticed she didn’t take the time to carefully line up the little stripes. I didn’t see a detailed shot of putting AB together.
You should just go ahead & try it. Yours might just fall together. I just know the pitfalls I had. I love them though. So go for it. I’m anxious to see it when it’s done. I never did figure out how to post pix on here. My favorite ones are when I put 4 more triangles on the ends. Makes them long but are beautiful.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:43 AM

If you look at that AB piece you will notice that it is a parallelogram. To make it you lay your 60 degree ruler on the fabric like any other of the triangles you just cut. Cut or mark the left side and bottom angles. Reverse your ruler and lay it against the cut points of the piece you just partially cut and finish cutting the right side. I recently used this pattern and wanted my table runner longer than the pattern showed. So, I added the required of inches to the top and bottom angle on the right side of the parallelogram and drew another line and cut it. I did the same for the opposite side of the runner. Had just the length I wanted. That is a fun pattern. I am making one right now for my table for Christmas Eve dinner. I have to fussy cut each piece because the pattern is pairs of birds. My fabric looks like swiss cheese-but I think it is worth it. Not sure what to do with the scraps.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:08 AM

I can't wait to see it!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Pat....wow what a quick and detailed response. Thank you so very much and I think I understand your directions. I am having company today so probably will not get it cut out for a day or two. I'll keep you posted. Kelela
Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Thanks quilterpurpledog for quick reply. I too lived in Colorado..Denver area...for 31 years. Miss the mountains. Kelela