Newfound Hobby

Old 12-28-2017, 12:03 PM

Scout973. No hope for you. Especially when you find such good machines at such a low cost. I've sewn far more test strips than anything else. Enjoy the ride.

Cathy,. I love the image of a wipedown with a rag.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:18 PM

Welcome! It does seem to be a dangerous hobby that can spiral into out-of-control collecting. I love to sew and only have two "vintage" machines, but love them dearly. I told my husband I shouldn't get another machine, but he loves tinkering with them (loving all things mechanical) and has already mentioned looking for more "new" ones at the swap meets we go to in the summer. Good luck to you and your wife.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM

I was ill over some of the Christmas vacation.. good thing I had several sewing machines nearby to keep my hands busy. Now where did my pics of the Morse go???
Old 12-28-2017, 01:08 PM

The 201 is an exquisite machine: design, sound, function. I think of them as the elegant Singer. Nobody with any sensibility can help falling in love with them. If they'd dropped some corpse-white plastic rig from the 80's, you never would have fallen into this obsession, which would be a good thing in some people's minds (spouses, say), but not in mine.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brass Head View Post
The 201 is an exquisite machine: design, sound, function. I think of them as the elegant Singer. Nobody with any sensibility can help falling in love with them. If they'd dropped some corpse-white plastic rig from the 80's, you never would have fallen into this obsession, which would be a good thing in some people's minds (spouses, say), but not in mine.
I'm a die hard Japanese machine collector but I do have a few Singers. Early on in my vintage journey a black Singer called out to me at a thrift store and I just had to bring it home. Little did I know at the time I'd found the Cadillac of straight stitch machines, a 201-2. Any time someone asks me what's so special about a 201-2 I say I can't tell you what it is, you have to experience it for yourself. More than once I've been told I was right, nothing compares to a 201-2. My Elizabeth is the queen of my herd.(But shhh, don't tell my Brother machines this, they get jealous!)

Cari
Old 12-28-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Thanks for the Welcome...

Thank you for the welcome! It's good to know I am not alone. At least now I can tell my wife it is a disease. If I get a divorce, eventually, over the machines, does that mean I have to give up half of them? If so, that is reason enough to get a few more! How does one keep them if the cabinets are taking up too much of the living (or workshop area) space? What vintage machine will work sewing heavy canvas into backpacks? Can I use the 201?

I cannot think of ANYTHING that can be had for such a small price that is so well made. However, it seems that I have dried up all the local good finds...
Old 12-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Is a Singer Spartan a worthwhile endeavor? By the way, is there a PDF source for [h=3]1960 Singer Teacher's Textbook of Machine Sewing?[/h]
Old 12-28-2017, 06:44 PM

Hi,
I haven't happened across a Spartan, so not help on that one. If I were to spot one at a good price, I would have to get it, as they are cute, not as cute as a featherweight, but still cute.

I'm not sure if you are looking specifically for the textbook, or just some of the info in it. There are a couple that are quite similar to each other would be http://www.sewon.info/dawnload5/SING...ILY-MANUAL.pdf
and http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...7d9fb8c05e.pdf
Another good one that I like is http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...rence-book.pdf

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scout973 View Post
Is a Singer Spartan a worthwhile endeavor? By the way, is there a PDF source for 1960 Singer Teacher's Textbook of Machine Sewing?
A Spartan model 192 is just a plain Jane model 99. 3/4 size, no decals or light and they came originally in a black plastic case. So yes it's worth investigating.

Cari
Old 12-30-2017, 10:43 AM

Scout973, where do you live to be able to find such wonderful deals?

Congratulations, and welcome to the board!