Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
nylon netting pot scrubbers >

nylon netting pot scrubbers

nylon netting pot scrubbers

Old 12-29-2017, 06:53 AM

I use netting, cut into 2" strips...use a J hook, chain 5, join last to the first, then 8 half double crochet in the ring, join to first half double , chain 1, and do 2 half double crochets in each of the 8 stitches, and join, single crochet, and 2 half double crochets in each of the 16 stitches...join, single crochet and then do 1 half double crochet in each of the 32 stitches...join, and cut netting and pull through to finish...make a second one, and then joint the 2 together using single crochet....they do end up about 3 inches wide...good size for pots,pans and sinks....or the bathtub...Tuille can be used, but it's not as "scrubby"...my granddaughter uses a tuille one to help take off makeup and as a bath scrubbie....they are softer than the netting ones....I've used a knife to cut the 6 inch rolls of tuille into 2 inch strips...
I generally buy 4-5 yards of netting....and then cut into 2 inch strips...I just tied the ends together....abd cut any tails, or cover then with the next round of stitches...
I put mine in the dishwasher to clean...
I've found that making the 2 halves and joining gives a nicer finish than decreasing the stitches in reverse..
Old 12-29-2017, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I used to make them out of netting but it's been so long that I forgot how to make them. Check Youtube.
My friend makes them out of yarn doing crochet and they are super!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 AM

This is the pattern I use, they come out nice.
Scrubby
Tulle or netting cut in2 inch strips and joined

Chain 4 and join with slip stitch.
Chain 3 counts as first double crochet. Eleven double crochet in circle. Join with slip stitch. Total 12
Chain 3. One double crochet in next stitch.
2 double crochet in each stitch around. Total 24. Join with slip stitch
Chain 3 double crochet in next stitch. 2 double crochet in each stitch around. Join with slip stitch
Make another same way and join together.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:28 AM

I use my one and only scrubby in the quilt room to clean off the mat when I'm finished each day.
It was once yellow, now it is a no color
Old 12-29-2017, 12:43 PM

My grandmother made them for years, always out of netting. She always said tulle was too wimpy. LOL I wish I had some of hers, usually get mine at craft shows.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:30 PM

I've been wondering if you could recycle/make them from the netting onion bags are made of. Has anyone done that?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Using those onion bags sounds like a great recycle
Old 12-30-2017, 04:38 AM

I knit those, too. I used a pretty good sized knitting needle--maybe a 10?--and cast on 14. Cut the strips about 2" wide and use 2 strips/scrubbie. It's not real big but big enough. Caution--this stuff is hard on your hands. especially if you are making several. After all, it's a scrubbie!
Old 12-30-2017, 07:28 AM

I have been testing with my 10 year old netting, thought the new stuff might be softer--guess not.
I did learn how to knit a cotton dish square but have not made any in many years, prefer crochet I guess.

grammamo, I have a book on 'learn to crochet' but am not getting the half double stitch. No one seems to use that stitch, others just do dc, might have to search for a video for it to sink in.

johnette, that is how a video says to do it, am trying that version today using tulle from a tube bought at Wally yesterday. What size hook do you use for yours.
Tried using the full width but will be cutting it in half and use it that way.
I will keep trying until I get it down pat.
Thank to all for the help
Old 12-30-2017, 08:55 AM

I think I used a J hook, but don't quote me on that. If the tulle won't slide through my hook, I go up a size or if it doesn't look tight enough I go down a size.