Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have a knitting machine?  Tell all, please! >

Do you have a knitting machine? Tell all, please!

Do you have a knitting machine? Tell all, please!

Old 12-29-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Do you have a knitting machine? Tell all, please!

I would like some input from those of you who have knitting machines: what machine you have, what it's capabilities are, what you like and dislike, etc. I'm considering buying a knitting machine, and so far all I know is that I don't want the round one that only does the stockinette stitch. I'd like to be able to do stitches other than knit and purl (like the slip stitch, etc.), but don't want to spend a thousand dollars, either. Advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I have two machines... a Knitking standard gauge and a Brother bulky. At one point, I owned 5 machines, one was the top of the line PASSAP that knit 4 colors in the same row. Both of my current machines are electronic with the capability of attaching to my knitting software on the computer, although I don't do that anymore. I know you don't want to spend much money, but the machine manufacturers are few and far between, so even the used machines are a premium price. Don't waste your money on the very simple 'hobby' machines as they are difficult to work. You might just as well knit by hand rather than one of those. Try ravelry.com and knittingparadise.com as they have forums there about machines and some for sale.

Some of my machine creations:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586218[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586219[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586220[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586221[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586222[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171114 Red hat preemie.bmp
Views:	430
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	586218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131011_131039 porch geese ready for halloween and thanksgiving R.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	586219   Click image for larger version

Name:	mug rug circa1990.jpe
Views:	392
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	586220   Click image for larger version

Name:	tiny teal sweater is smallest i ever knit  sm.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	586221   Click image for larger version

Name:	201611 cyr sweater.bmp
Views:	432
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	586222  

Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a machine but I love to buy knitted wool socks on Etsy. They are wonderful!
I love to knit (by hand) but have never made socks. I like them knitted on a machine a
lot better.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:35 AM

Thanks so much QuiltnNan! Your projects are beautiful; the detail on those pilgrims is impressive! I am trying to make dishcloths using a loom and having difficulty because my stitches are too tight. I know I am working too hard to manipulate the yarn.
I went to those two sites you recommended and couldn't find any machines for sale, just lots of yarn, books and finished pieces for sale. Am I missing them?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:16 AM

Default knitting machine

I have several knitting machines. I was a Brother dealer for many years. I also have 27 books in print which I designed to be used on the knitting machine. I have knitted socks on them and love them. PM me if you are interested in more info.

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Thanks so much QuiltnNan! Your projects are beautiful; the detail on those pilgrims is impressive! I am trying to make dishcloths using a loom and having difficulty because my stitches are too tight. I know I am working too hard to manipulate the yarn.
I went to those two sites you recommended and couldn't find any machines for sale, just lots of yarn, books and finished pieces for sale. Am I missing them?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:00 AM

I used to knit on a machine. I still have one punchcard model that was used to demo at a craft show. It really is "new". I must inform you that Brother, Toyota, and some others stopped making machines in the late 1990's. If you are looking for a machine now, it will have to be a used one. And you need someone that can teach you. Very important! Back in the early 90's I used to make skirts, tops, even slacks that I wore. I knitted a wedding dress and a star quilt top. I received a request to make 4 sweaters for a movie. It was the one about Earnest Shacklton's trip to the Antarctic. At that time all I had was an origional picture of the men in the expedition. I had to copy the sweaters in the picture--so it would be the same. Life was good, knitting and creating was fun, and I loved it. Then they pulled the rug out from under us Dealers, stopped manufacturing the machines. Of course, the yarn manufacturers were hit hard too. Now you can hardly find any yarn on a cone. I still have some of the hard twist yarns that are rayon and wool mix, but softer yarns can't be found. Don't let me discourage you from finding a machine, but be sure you get some lessons from someone. I'm almost 85, and I don't knit much anymore----switched to quilting.
Hope this gives you a little insight into machines. (most of them had 200+ needles on the needlebed.)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
....I went to those two sites you recommended and couldn't find any machines for sale, just lots of yarn, books and finished pieces for sale. Am I missing them?
Sorry, I haven't been there in a long time and must have remembered incorrectly. If you do a google search of knitting machines for sale, there are a few sites that sell decent machines, but not many. https://www.google.com/search?q=knit...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Thanks for the kind words on my projects. We used to have a 'guild' in south FL and that is where I learned all of my machine knitting. For a short time, I even designed and knitted for a fashion designer. Most of those pictures have been lost. Now, I'll knit an afghan every month for donation to the cancer center... usually with a very simple built in design. I'd rather be quilting LOL. Feel free to contact me by PM anytime you need help if you get a machine.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Back when I retired in 2008, I picked up a knitting machine at JoAnne's including the extender pieces, the counter, etc. So far all I've done with it is put it together and see how it works. Now its back in its box upstairs in a closet as I have no where to put it. Also want to make a folding type table to attach it to. Found free patterns on the web for various stitch patterns. Other than that, I can't tell you much. Oh yes, got lots of yarn so when I do feel the urge I'm ready to go.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:33 PM

The ones sold at Joanns were not a real machine. They are hobby machines. Plastic. The large 200 needle machines, might have had a plastic case, but were metal inside. I once had a gentleman come to visit my shop from another state. He wanted to see what The Toyota machine was all about. After showing him what it would do, he admitted that he also had one of Joanns machines. He had knit some simple patterns and made childrens sweaters with a boat neck. Before he left, he purchased a Toyota from me and took a couple of lessons. He was just delighted to see the possibilities of what could be accomplished in a short amount of time.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:19 PM

I had one many years ago when I was a teen. It was not hard to learn, had maybe 100 needles, it had me making scarves for everyone I knew one Christmas. Wish I still had it.