Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you take your Christmas decorations down? >

When do you take your Christmas decorations down?

When do you take your Christmas decorations down?

Old 12-31-2017, 06:04 AM

Usually after New Years Day. This year, we had a real tree, and I got tired of crawling under it to water it, and getting showered with pine needles, so it went out on Boxing Day. We had it set up in front of the patio doors, so it was an easy push out the open doors!
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
For years we took our decorations down the weekend after New Years, but lately I have seen folks take them down the day after Christmas. Thoughts???
Having lived in Denver the majority of my life, the tradition was to wait until after Western Stock Show (sometime around the 20th of January). A little bit about that tradition can be found at https://colorado.ourcommunitynow.com...tmas-lighting/

I don't remember as a child when we got our tree - (no fake ones then) so that it wouldn't dry out before we took it down. The lights at Civic Center will stay up, but the Christmas tree pick up for metro Denver areas will be before the end of stock show (this year on the 21st) as indicated http://kdvr.com/2017/12/26/where-to-...hristmas-tree/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:18 AM

Anytime after the New Year.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I have cleaned off the coffee table, but the tree will stay up for about 2 or 3 more days.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I take inside decorations down the day after Christmas. Outside lights when DH feels like it, usually before New Year's Day. To me when something is over, it's over.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:08 AM

This was a terrible year for me. I lost my sister quite suddenly and unexpectedly in April, then my mom in November. My dad died just 3 years ago. I am the last of my immediate family and feeling quite low. In spite of selling our N.Y. home and moving to a lovely retirement home on two acres in PA, the year was filled with more sadness than joy. I did put a tree up because my two daughters and husband said it would help me find Christmas spirit. Well, that didn't work. I took all decorations down December 26th. I'm hoping 2018 will be more uplifting to my spirit, but I just needed to go through my grieving period.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

It always depends on how long the tree holds up. This year it's barely shed any needles. But I don't really want to look at it past New Year's Day.
Debbie C- I'm so sorry you had such a bad year. Hope the next one is better for you.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:14 AM

I have an artificial tree and it goes up the day after Thanksgiving and comes down no earlier than New Years . I love decorating for the holidays and so I feel if I am doing the decorating and taking down it is up to me when the time is right.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:08 AM

I'm allergic to a real tree in the house. I was so glad for artificial trees were made. We use to take Christmas trees down on New Years. Now we don't even put it out because our kids all have grands, and live away from here. We enjoy everybody in the neighborhood decors. I have noticed the trees are waiting for pick up. It seems the trees dried out early this year.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:16 AM

When I feel like it! This year I was going to start decorating the week of Dec. 11th. DH had other ideas, and had a heart attack that day!! (Pay attention to those warning signs!) He's much improved now, but we got sidetracked with surgery, and a hospital stay. My son came over and we decorated just in time for DH to come home. I usually don't take it down to mid January. This year I want to purge a little more. So many things I don't use anymore.