Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Difficulty Peeling Potatoes >

Difficulty Peeling Potatoes

Difficulty Peeling Potatoes

Old 01-02-2018, 07:53 AM

The peeler I have been using for the last 75 years is the square shape with the floating blade on one side of the square. You hold the other side of the square and steady your hand by holding onto the bar down the middle of the square. I pull the peeler toward me but you could push it away also. They are called "Wonder Peeler" and were made with a blue steel small curved knife or hook at one corner to dig out eyes. They stopped making the blue steel hook in about 1951, but I have found them over the years at thrift stores, rummage sales and auctions. I have at least 5 of them in my drawers now. The wonder peelers you can buy now have just an extension of the aluminum at one corner, but that is not sharp enough. If I had that I would switch to a knife to take out eyes.

Cooking potatoes with the peel is the best way. I cut the potato into large chunks so that everything in the pot is about the same size. After they are cooked, the skin does not "slide" off. You have to grab hold of a corner of peel (usually some of the corners curl up) and pull it off. OR - - you can eat that peel with the potato. Soooo good for you!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:17 AM
mac

I have one tip for opening those darn water bottles or drink bottles that are so hard to get the cap off. Instead of trying to open the bottle by turning it to the right, I first turn the cap to the left like I was trying to close the bottle. Then I turn it to the right and open the bottle. It will open much easier. I do have to say, that this doesn't work every time, but it works more often than not. So, if you don't first succeed, try it again on another bottle.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 AM

I never peel potatoes, my answer if anyone in the family wants them peeled, you do it, my life is too short to waste time peeling when I can just eat them with skins on.( I’d rather sew ) For mash, I bake the potatoes and scoop the flesh out
Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM

I have 2 OXO peelers, both are a different style, but I Love the cushioned large handles!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:10 AM

another vote for the OXO peeler. Until I looked it up, did not know that OXO made so many different ones! I have one like the first one but thought the other day, I need a new one, this is kinda hard to do use. They do get dull just like knives.
A trick I use on jars and bottles like pickles etc is I take a church key kind of opener and use it like I was going to pop the top off, but just lift slightly, it will break that vacuum and the lid will come off easier.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=17JWAQUZCTVJU
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 AM

I have always peeled my potatoes. But like the idea of cooking with the skins on. Then I can feed the skins to my chickens. Waste not, want not.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:39 AM

I purchased a fat handled Kitchenaid peeler. THE BEST EVER! No more tired sore fingers or wrists peeling potatoes or apples using those thin metal peelers or the best $1 paring knives sold on the counters at hardware stores. Peels fast and thin slices. Had it for 6 years and still sharp as ever.

I learned to open jars by taking a spoon and pressing under the lid to release the vacuum. Lids easily unscrew once the tight seal is gone. Works every time. No more twisted wrists or tired hands.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Suz

Thank you all for the feedback and in particular the link to Amazon by Murphy. I will be placing an order shortly. And I will certainly use the "release the vacuum" ideas several of you offered. Better than the ice pick method I have used. You are all so kind to share your ideas. And I will be eating more potato skins. Blessings. --- Stay warm. Very cold here.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

great potato tip!!! thanks.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

This is the best peeler i have ever used. Swiss Rex vegetable peeler 2 pack at Amazon.