Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice in buying a longarm! >

Need advice in buying a longarm!

Need advice in buying a longarm!

Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Can you empty out the room and and place the Longarm table diagonal across the room? I know this isn’t ideal, but it would at least fit better and allow your access to the back of the machine.

I’m also currently shopping Longarms. There’s a Handi Quilter near me, and I test drove the Amara. It’s a nice machine if you’re just buying it for personal use. I don’t think it’s built to do quilting for the public, however. If that’s something that might interest you, it might be worth looking for something more sturdy.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:24 AM

It looks like Innova is sponsoring the Orlando show in 3 weeks, the dealer called me yesterday and suggested I take the class from Gina Perks (a bonus) and test drive it like I'm doing in Daytona with the Handiquilter. Of course they will have special prices if you but it there since they are used at that point- no pressure LOL!! But they do seem to be more flexible with the table size. the Demo machine is 22" with the lightening stitch, so would it allow me to afford the great stitch if I buy it then if I love it? It's a huge difference as I wouldn't buy upgraded stitch otherwise. Feline Fanatic, I know you said it was a great difference in the stitch- this will be my one and only machine, so I'm taking it all in. They will also credit the class price and take my Viking sit down as a trade in, but i'm not sure if they would give me fair market value as it's only got 5 quilts stitched on it. I'll take an afternoon class and test drive everyone else in the morning.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Petpainter, Usually with the demos about the only savings you see is no shipping charges. But if they are eager to sell you may be able to wheel and deal with the dealer like asking for free delivery and setup installation (that is what I did).

Or maybe you can get them to throw in a few add ons like the Spectre LED light that wraps around the needlebar. https://www.innovalongarm.com/produc...led-light.html I LOVE mine and it has a blacklight mode as well as regular light. My LA room does not have great lighting, it is ok but having this light makes all the difference because the light is positioned right where you need it most.

Other add ons that you might want them to "throw in" if they are wheeling and dealing, the hand crank to put on your rack to advance. I don't have them but others have absolutely raved about them
https://www.innovalongarm.com/produc...-set-of-3.html

Casters so you can move your frame
https://www.innovalongarm.com/produc...g-casters.html

My machine came with the bobbin winder, so make sure that is included as you will have no other way to wind bobbins. And most machines come with a starter pack (mine did and I bought a demo) that includes bobbins (usually about 5), a package of needles, a small cone of thread, little scissors, machine oil in a zip spout applicator bottle. So make sure you get all those goodies! Dealers may all be different but I would insist on some sort of starter.

Regarding LS, it really is worth it. You get more options for stitch length than you do with the regular one which is awesome for tight fill and small work. You will never get the one longer stitch when switching direction fast or going from a dead stop to go. There is a basting option which is fabulous (4 stitches per inch). If you plan on working from the front of the machine the touch screen is right there. With the regular SR it is at the back of the machine. I've only just got mine so I can't even tell you what all the options are as I have only done two quilts since upgrading but right out of the gate I saw a difference. I know it is a lot of money, I waffled over it for five years! So I do understand where you are coming from but now that I have it, I feel it was money well spent.

Also be prepared for a new addiction..... Thread! Oh my gosh, my thread addiction is now almost as bad as my fabric addiction. I keep it in check but I do have quite the assortment now and when I first got my LA I went nuts at the shows. All the vendors usually have specials. Filltec which makes Glide, usually attend the big shows and their booths always sell out fast. LOVE the magnaglide prewound bobbins and can't remember the last time I wound my own bobbin. But in the beginning I did and refused to pay the premium for prewounds. Now I won't consider anything but. LOL. And specialty threads. Love the specialty threads like Invisifil and metallics and the holographics. But that can all come in time.

Also so jealous you will be taking a class with Gina Perkes. She used to be a Gammil girl through and through. Now is she not only a reformed "Innovian" she is an Innova dealer! She is a very talented lady and does gorgeous work. I have one of her books and learned a lot from it.

Feel free to PM me any time.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 AM

I had a mid arm machine set up in a similar space. I had to crawl under it to get to the back side of the set up. The only way that I could have made it work, was to set up only half of the frame ( about 5 feet versus 10 feet wide). This limits you to small projects.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Be careful with adding the casters. While it does make the frame easy to move, if your floor is not perfectly level, the frame could be thrown out of whack when you move it. I have casters on mine, and it was installed by the vendor. I moved it to clean, then moved it back. I thought I had it in the exact original location, but it is out of level and after a couple years of trying to get it back, I'm going to bite the bullet & have them come out & re-level.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 PM

I just bought an Innova LA on a 12' frame last October. I couldn't be happier with it and would highly recommend it. I bought from Boersma's in McMinnville Oregon and if you call them, you might be happy. The owner has developed a frame as small as 5' made out of PVC-type pipes. You have to layer it yourself instead of using the rails to load the quilt backing, batting and top, but it would solve your space issue. He (Jack Boersma) says that Innova is going to pick up his frame and begin selling it next year, but he sells them himself in the meantime.

The lightening stitch is expensive ($4,000) but what it does is keep your stitches the same size as you move your hand slower or faster, or when you are stopping or starting back up. I wasn't going to get it, but my friend talked me into it pointing out that the appearance of your stitches is everything. I'm really happy with it.

My frame isn't on casters, but it's light enough that I can push the frame around on my bare wood floor. Unfortunately, like PaperPrincess said, I had them set it up in one spot in my family room, then I pushed it over to get it better lighting. Now it's not level and it's drifting when I let go of it. I haven't tried to re-level it yet but have got to do it before I do another quilt.

The Innova manufacturer is a family-business, and they are available 24/7/365 - even on Christmas Day - by phone to help you trouble shoot. I haven't had to call yet because I haven't had any problems.

As far as your back, they asked me how tall I was when I bought the machine and they set it up to my height. I have been able to work on it for hours without my back hurting. I can't say enough good things about this machine. I've been thrilled.

I also took a class at Boersma's about a year before as part of the process of looking at machines. That definitely helped. A class was included in the purchase price so I ended up taking an intermediate class after I bought it.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:33 AM

my advice try out a few ask a lot of questions and if you can rent time on a few to see if you like it. I looked for a long time and figured I could never pay the price they want. Then one day on craigs's list I seen one advertised in my area and in my price range. It was at a dealer so went and tried it out and bought it. IT HAS NO extras but I was used to free motion on my domestic. Have never regretted the purchase and it has brought me a lot of joy.