Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young??? >

How young is too young???

How young is too young???

Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM

I started at 7. I bought a treadle machine from the thrift store next to the beauty shop where my mom was getting her hair done. I paid less than $10 because I dumped all my money on the counter and the lady took what I had instead of keeping up her higher price. My dad had a fit. He was sure I would get hurt. I did. I ran a needle through my index finger and once that healed, I was off to the races. By age 10 I was making all my own clothes and never stopped. Sewing gave me something uniquely my own. None of my friends sewed. I could make exactly what I wanted the way I wanted. By the time I got to high school, I was known for my peculiar talent and even won awards for it. I would hope that any parent or grand parent of a youngster drawn to sewing would encourage him or her. Not only is the skill useful throughout one's life, but mastery involves patience, reading, following directions, creativity and common sense--all seem to be exercises that could greatly enhance a child's sense of self and confidence.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:55 AM

Our grandchildren were allowed to sew when they asked if they could make something too. 3 and 4 was when both granddaughters and grandsons started. They started with the Featherweight but always begged to use the embroidery machine and used it with help. You may have to set things up differently for the young ones but they will love it.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

All my grands started about age 3 with no needle in the machine. They loved to feed fabric strips through, didn't care if they were not sewn together. This gets them over the thrill of the machine going on demand.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:39 PM

My 9 year old has made 5 quilts now I think (I've lost count). One won a blue ribbon and award of merit at the county fair. My machine (5 year old Kenmore made by Janome) has a speed control. I also have a 1/4 inch foot for it. She presses her pieces now too. I don't let her rotary cut yet, but I did just buy her a butcher's glove for Christmas, so she may get to try that soon. She and her sister started a few years ago doing stitching with me, but they started quilting with a charity group at 8 and 10 years old.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:58 PM

Oh my goodness! After reading these posts I realized I'm a very late bloomer! I didn't start sewing until my late 20's .
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Never too young to learn to sew!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:00 PM

I taught my son at the age of 9. He was really interested and I took that as the que. He wouldn't have been ready before that. In general, girls have better fine motor skills earlier on than boys. My son was pretty standard!

We went over safety first. He picked out fabric for a Ravenclaw inspired quilt. It was a four patch. I used a speed-control machine. I let him try all the fancy stitches on scrap fabric first.

Funny story: So he learned to sew but after the quilt, lost interest. One day after school he asks if he can use the machine and make a bookmark out of Pokemon fabric. He had already made one for himself, but I thought he lost it. I set him up, off he went, finished it up, and I pressed it for him. The next day he has this rubik's cube. Upon questioning and investigation, he tells me that his friend liked his bookmark and offered to trade his rubik's cube for it. DS said he make him one and they made the deal the next day. Score one for handmade crafts!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:55 PM

My sons decided to sew on their own at 4 AND 5! THE 5 year old ran the foot feed and the 4 year old the fabric until he sewed his finger!
Then at 8 the youngest wanted to make GI Joe clothes,,,, until the take up lever pinned his finger on the down stroke, and yelled help. He was trying to take the machine apart with a screw driver.
They watched me sew for years and today can tell you why something will not work.
I still make brocade vests and matching ties for the oldest to wear every day to work.

You can engage the bobbin winder so they can not sew when you are not watching.

Last edited by Phyllis nm; 01-04-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:38 AM

Our 6 year old grand loves to sew on my epic, with supervision of course. I bought a needle guard. She is trying out all the decorative stitches. She remembers to look at the screen and see which foot is used. Of course, with this machine, I'm with her every minute. I did set up my small brother but being she is mine, she likes the big Viking better! We are going to Joanns to buy some preprinted pillow fabric.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM

I had to laugh when I read the one where the child was allowed to sew, but not to iron. I didn't learn to sew when I was tiny, but Mom had me set up to iron the family handkerchiefs at a pretty young age. I loved being allowed to help, as my mother was often overwhelmed with the ironing. I say the younger the better, if the child will listen, practice and have supervision. Skills learned when one is young can become "comfort" activities when one is older, and the human brain is amazing. I once knew a lady from England who learned to knit when she was four. As a young adult, she could knit a ski sweater and read a novel at the same time, it was so automatic to her. (I thought she was a totally amazing person!) Anyway, have fun with your little ones, and let them explore their wonderful creative abilities and develop their personal skill set in front of your eyes!!