Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine! >

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 PM

I was having similar problems--the self-threader never seems to work and I just couldn't see the needle. I bought the "Big Look" magnifier at a quilt show. Besides being able to thread the needle, it "forces" me to sit up staright, which means less back ache and more sewing time.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:45 AM

the same gizmo that you use for threading the hand needles can be used on a machine, you just go in thru the needle from the back side (where it will come out) and put the thread in the loop and pull it thru to the back/side which ever way yours works.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:20 PM

I keep a white plastic spoon handy and when I hold it behind the needle, the needle eye gets very clear and makes threading a breeze !
Old 01-12-2018, 02:37 PM

I, too, use the lick the tip of your finger and run it over the needle eye method, too. It works. When it doesn't work, it's because the end of the thread that I'm trying to insert through the needle has a slender strand strand sticking out of it. In that case, I clip the thread again and make sure it is a clean snip, no slender strands sticking out.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:36 PM

I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem, but if your reading glasses aren't cutting it, it sounds like you need a new eye exam. I'm getting up in age also, have never used the needle threader gizmo on my 1 machine that had it, in fact, I had my machine guy take it off for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 PM

I would suggest a serger threader. My Brother Serger came with one & its really easy to use! Sorry about the eyesight, I'm right there with you. Just acquired my first bifoculs, (spelling?) I'm not missing the reading cheater glasses!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
My machine has a needle threader, but it gets stuck in the needle when I try to use it. I've taken it back to the shop and it works fine every time !!! I has to be user error, but I can't figure it out, so I thread the machine the old way. I find if I just put my finger behind the eye of the needle, I get it threaded every time. I just had cataract surgery about 6 months ago, and only can't see very small things.
Sue
The one on my Necchi gets stuck if it isn't in the exactly right position. I move the needle very tiny amounts until it lets go.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 PM

My dh, The Resident Engineer, taught me this trick the other day. (Who knew he even had them???) With the light on, mov e your line of sight until you can see the light shining through the eye of the needle. It makes it easy to tell when the thread is going through the eye, because it blocks the light. It works surprisingly well!
Old 01-13-2018, 05:28 AM

This is what I do as well (white cardstock). I also found magnifiers with lights at Tuesday Mornings for $5.99 that also work great.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here is the gadget that came with one of my machines. http://www.amazon.com/KingSo-Threade.../dp/B00STDMKBW
it works much better than i thought it would
This is the one I use and I really like it. However, don't go to Amazon to get it. They are advertised on facebook regularly at half that price.