Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you take your Christmas decorations down? >

When do you take your Christmas decorations down?

When do you take your Christmas decorations down?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 PM

One year i left our tree up until June. FYI this means you have to dust everything before you put it away. I did have a reason, lol. My friends kids were biddies with my son and we were planning on having Christmas together, but their Mom decided not to let them come see their dad for Christmas. Thetly were all bummed out. so I told them I'd leave my tree (fake) up til they got here for summer vacation. So there it sat, with their presents underneath. Best reactipns wete from tje Jehovah's Witnesses when they came to the door in like, May. It was like, what, are you taunting us?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 AM

I still haven't taking down the trees or anything. I am still reeling from the heartbreak of my brothers passing New Year's Eve.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:53 PM

The inside decorations were down the week after New Years. The outside one have to stay until the ground thaws so I can get the metal things out of the ground that hold the things down. Several of my neighbors, including me, still have outside lights on. With all the snow it looks pretty.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:41 AM

I put ours up on Christmas EVE morning..it came down on Epiphany...Jan 6. I observe the church calendar.

Sandy
Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 AM

My hubby is a Christmas maniac...and I love that! He starts putting lights up outside right after Halloween, but he has them all on timers and they come in Thanksgiving night. The grandkids are amazed by the spectacle!!! We decorate the inside of the house the first weekend in December, including the tree. We don't undecorate until the weekend after New Year's day. It's the week after New Year's that we get to enjoy it all, because it's so crazy during the holidays...LOL!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 AM

Haha I haven't seen this in the thread yet. For about 5 years I have been on a search for a small tree to go in a little corner on an antique table. I didn't want a typical Christmas tree. I wanted the branches to show with no evergreens on it. FINALLY found it in Nov. It's about 4 feet. So. . . . it's going to stay up all year. It has white lights that have various settings and I decorated it with quilted patchwork ornaments. I just took down all the Santas - kept up the red and added quilted red hearts for Valentines. I will decorate differently every month for each holiday. The grandkids LOVE it!!!! And so do I.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Haha I haven't seen this in the thread yet. For about 5 years I have been on a search for a small tree to go in a little corner on an antique table. I didn't want a typical Christmas tree. I wanted the branches to show with no evergreens on it. FINALLY found it in Nov. It's about 4 feet. So. . . . it's going to stay up all year. It has white lights that have various settings and I decorated it with quilted patchwork ornaments. I just took down all the Santas - kept up the red and added quilted red hearts for Valentines. I will decorate differently every month for each holiday. The grandkids LOVE it!!!! And so do I.
I am doing the same thing in my mom's apartment in assisted living. The CNA's always comment on it and it gives her something to talk about. It is a great idea to brighten up a room.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I still haven't taking down the trees or anything. I am still reeling from the heartbreak of my brothers passing New Year's Eve.

Dear Chasing Hawk, I am sorry for the loss of your brother. I just saw your post and wanted to send you a hug and let you know I am sharing your sorrow. Be kind to yourself as you go through this very difficult time.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 PM

My tree is still up, I would never take it down before the 6th, and usually have it up longer because I love the lights on during the dark evenings of winter. I always try to have it down by February ..or my birthday on Feb 17! Usually it goes up in early Dec., but this year not until the 23rd!

As for grieving at Christmas time....my Dad died on Christmas morning 14 years ago. While my siblings and I were deeply saddened, we all felt it was the best Christmas gift he could have gotten. He was 91, failing quickly, and wanted to join our mother. We went on with our celebrations that day and were sure he was right there with us. Every year since, the first ornament on my tree is a set of angel feathers to remind me that Mom and Dad are there, as well as 2 of my siblings, enjoying the season with me. It keeps me from missing them quite so much.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Chasing Hawk, I recently lost of my husband of 47 years. I know what you are going thru. Please rest and give in to the grief. And if you can, go to grief counseling. You will never get over it, but you will get thru it. Take care.