Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair quilt price to charge? >

Repair quilt price to charge?

Repair quilt price to charge?

Old 01-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by boykinsmommy View Post
You are so right but, I was thinking of $6/hr for them....they are young so I know they don't have much money. Ugh..I can't escape the guilt!
Many starting wages for young people is $15.00 per hr. I have found young people make more money than I ever have. They just don't save.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Have you resized them? You can't post anything over 1 meg.

Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing
Unfortunately I'm an idiot when it comes to that kind of stuff....I will have to ask my kids LOL!! Seriously, I'm challenged when it comes to technology...unless it's a sewing machine....go figure....
Old 01-19-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Many starting wages for young people is $15.00 per hr. I have found young people make more money than I ever have. They just don't save.
Most young people have as much disposable income as I do. They just spend it differently. I cook, they go out or use Blue Apron type services. I actually learned to sew so I could make clothes and household things myself. I never thought of it till I read it but teaching them to do it themselves is an awesome idea.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:52 AM

I realize that it is too late for this project, but in the future, you might want to just say 'No". Recently, I was asked to repair a quilt that seemed similar to the one you have described. I just told that person it was beyond my field of expertise and directed them to a local quilting shop. You can't please everyone. But at least I was happy. lol
Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 AM

I just heard from her and they want me to go ahead with the repairs. I am charging $10/hr but after reading through all of these comments, in the future, should there be any requests, I will charge more for the repairs or flat out say no.
I appreciate the comments and insights here so much. I short change myself a lot because I don't believe in my ability. I need to stop that. I am a people pleaser by nature but this is business. It's nice when the two can come together but in the end, my time is important too.

The clients are not interested in learning to do it themselves. Which is fine. Repairs are much more complicated than regular quilting. It would take me hrs to teach her which would be just as expensive or more so. I think I have less patience for that.

Once I figure out posting and resizing pics, I'll post them. Thank you ladies again, I appreciate each of your comments and thoughts and am taking them to heart!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 AM

As has been suggested it might be better to take a section of the quilt, repair it and frame or make a new small hanging from the section.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 AM

Having read all the comments above, I would not do this project for hire. I just finished repairing and restoring a quilt for my grandson in law and it was a throw size. If I were to have charged for this quilt, I would not have done it for any less than 400.00. I was told it needed a new backing which isn't all that big of a deal, but it turns out the backing was in shreds. I tried to preserve the quilting his grandmother had done as she had made it for him when he left to go to college and it had been his buddy ever since. Turns out blocks needed repair, border needed repair and since I don't hand quilt for others as I am so slow I tied the quilt instead to secure the backing to the older quilt. I am now in the process of slipstitching the binding to the back of the quilt to preserve the look from the front and I am not sure the $400.00 would be enough if doing it for hire. Of course I will not charge him anything as it is a labor of love and the look on his face and the hugs I got thru the day made it all worth while. He was not only surprised but delighted beyond words and had tears in his eyes, which you never see on this guy. So don't sell yourself short on your charges. People that don't quilt don't have a clue, they think it is like whipping out a dress (easy one) and haven't any idea of the work and time involved. If you asked them to give up their hours of pay accordingly you would hear them screaming at the top of their lungs.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

i think time spent pondering/planning/undoing should be accounted for.

keep a diary and a timer/ clock near the project and log in and out when you are working on this.

if nothing else, this will give you a more accurate idea of how much time this project actually took.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
keep a diary and a timer/ clock near the project and log in and out when you are working on this.

if nothing else, this will give you a more accurate idea of how much time this project actually took.
Yes, I for one would be very interested in how much time it actually took, vs what was anticipated.

I find that I consistently and seriously underestimate how long it takes me to accomplish some tasks.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Stick with the $10/hr. That is still below minimum wage in most places.
I'm sure you also know to COVER, not replace, worn pieces; this retains the age identity of the quilt.

(When some relatives asked me to repair their wedding quilt for their 25th anniversary I chose to make a new quilt top for them and let them have it quilted. Piecing is more my thing than quilting or repair!)