Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with cutting rag quilt squares and quilting squares >

Help with cutting rag quilt squares and quilting squares

Help with cutting rag quilt squares and quilting squares

Old 01-21-2018, 01:45 PM

I use my QuiltCut2. Does a wonderful job. Most people can cut multiple layers. Due to arthritis I only cut 2 layers at a time. It keeps the fabric in place while I cut with my rotary cutter.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:47 PM

I make my rag quilts with alternating 3 and 6 inch strips cut the width of the fabric. They look adorable and go together very fast. You can find pictures on Pinterest.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:43 AM

I only keep my Accuquilt cutter because of the rag die. I love it and can do about 4. You need to make sure its kept clean. I had to get the first one replaced because it wouldn't cut all the way but ever since then, its great. I haven't done one in years but I don't see me ever doing one if I had to do it by hand.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:02 PM

Juniper has not come back to post on the thread.

I have used scissors and a rotary cutter to cut the squares for rag quilts. Scissors when I was using old jeans to have denim on one side. I had my local glass shop cut acrylic templates in various sized squares for me. They are not as precise as rulers, but it does not matter for rag quilts. I have also ripped the fabric for rag quilts, as it does not matter if it is distorted. Rip along the cross grain, then rotary cut to make the squares.

For snipping I have two different pairs of spring loaded snips. I alternate between them as it helps my hands to have a change.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use the Go Accuquilt. I cut four layers of flannel at a time. I use dies to cut the squares, already have the rag edges cut for me. I can cut and sew a large size rag quilt in a day. It is my instant gratification quilt to make. I have rag snips on front and back.
"I use dies to cut the squares" I cut with a rotary cutter and hand quilt. How do you use dies to cut the squares? Is it a cutting machine?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Actually, rag quilts are very forgiving. You don't have to have perfect squares in making this quilt, you would never know the difference when done since all the edges are cut and ragged. No precision necessary when making a rag quilt.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:42 PM
pal

I use the rotating mat and a square template the size that I want the squares to be.