Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Civil War quilts - contrast?? >

Civil War quilts - contrast??

Civil War quilts - contrast??

Old 01-26-2018, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Solid white was definitely used in CW quilts. The best example is the Jane Stickle quilt better known as Dear Jane. I can't say for sure if the original fabric used was white or more of an eggshell or if it was white that dulled or got stained over time. I've seen the quilt in person and it is amazing but it has been a couple of years so I can't be sure. I believe the write up on the display mentioned it was thought Jane had a relative in the textile business and that is how she had access to such a wide array of scraps.

Here is a link to a close up of the signature corner of the quilt from the Bennington Museum

https://benningtonmuseum.org/2014sit...b-1000x986.jpg

and here is the link to the museum write up about the quilt with another picture of the whole quilt.

https://benningtonmuseum.org/portfol...stickle-quilt/

The light value shirtings with tiny little designs look nice as previously suggested and illustrated by Teen's lovely quilt. But as the DJ quilt illustrates, a solid works just as well and is still in keeping with what was done in that time. I think a nice eggshell color like Moda Bella Solids color snow or Kona Oyster (which has a kind of grayish undertone) or Bone or even an unbleached muslin would set off those CW prints very nicely
Old 01-27-2018, 04:52 AM

Check out Whittle's Fabrics...she has lots of CW repro fabric. Also check out Barbara Brackman.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I have made several civil war period quilts and cream (more like an off-white) was used in my quilts. These typically had a tiny floral print a couple shades darker. I, also, used a muted gray as background. Here is one quilt that all different colors (including purple) used to make ohio stars. There are 2 background fabrics in this quilt. One background fabric is cream with gray florals the other cream with darker cream tiny florals. They typically did not use solid fabrics in their Quilts....and the color red they used mostly was Turkey Red....you can find this color in embroidery floss... I think it's #304. I love making these quilts and I'm pea green with envy over your fabric stash... Have fun!

Your quilt is stunning - love the rich colors!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

To create contrast you can use Civil War shirting fabric. I prefer this over muslin as the muslin overall seems to be of a lower quality and wear faster then prints. You might consider a Kaufman Kono solid or a Moda muslin if you plan to use it for piecing or backing. This is what I was told. I found it to be helpful advice.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I second https://www.whittlesfabrics.com/10-f...ar-backgrounds. I bought a pack of these for back grounds.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by southernmema View Post
Check out Whittle's Fabrics...she has lots of CW repro fabric. Also check out Barbara Brackman.
Thought I'd add the link for Barbara Brackman, since she is a well-known authority on Civil War period fabric and has lots of pictures of quilts. She has a mailing list, and you can get daily inspiration: http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/
Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 PM

You can do it! Lay them out, take a picture with your cell phone, change the picture to black and white in your phone's editing app. Now sort them by contrast, and you can make some gorgeous quilts!

Here's my pineapple quilt, made from civil war repros.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-27-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:11 PM

Default My civil war quilt

I took the class on craftsy....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	587962  
Old 01-28-2018, 06:16 PM

Funny story...My DB-in-law is from Va. and at one time participated in Civil War re-enactments. Someone gifted him a quilt or a Flag for these re-enactments. He soaked in Tea to stain it to make it look more authentic.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 PM

I agree with Anna - find some shirting prints and some light beige/lighter tan prints for your background.