Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello,  I知 new to quilting and have a question . >

Hello, I知 new to quilting and have a question .

Hello, I知 new to quilting and have a question .

Old 01-28-2018, 05:44 AM

Default Hello, I知 new to quilting and have a question .

Where would be the best place to find help with these questions.

I recently found in storage a quilt top my grandmother was crossstitching before she passed away in 1994 at the age of 90. It is a beautiful song bird pattern and she had completed about 3/4 of the pattern. I am completing the cross stitching and then plan to quilt it. The top is very yellowed from age and storage. What is the best way to clean it? I do not want to wash the printed pattern for quilting. Should I complete the quilting before washing or is there a way to clean it with out washing pattern off. I知 new to quilting and don稚 want to mess up this quilt which is priceless to me.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 AM

welcome from se TX - someone on the board will be able to help you!!
Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 01-28-2018, 07:42 AM

Welcome to the board!! in my experience the lines for quilting are hard to wash away. I would recommend a good soak. I used to use all-fabric bleach (sodium perborate) but I can't find it anymore. There are special quilt washes, someone will mention the names. You do need to soak it (Not a washing machine!!) and it may take a while.

Even if the lines do fade, you can always use your own quilting pattern or do simple quilting around the birds. I would want to know how clean it is going to get before I spent any more time on it.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:03 AM

I would probably finish the embroidery and quilt it before attempting to wash out any quilting lines.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:52 AM

I agree with Bobbielinks....I would finish it, quilt it and then worry about getting the yellowing out. It might not come out, but the quilt will still be valuable and cherished. Otherwise, if you decide to try to clean it now, use some clear or very thin paper and trace out the quilting that is on the fabric. Make sure you have some type registration marks so that you can match the placement. Also, take a bunch of pictures to help you remember.

I found this interesting article about different ways to remove the yellowing. http://www.home-ec101.com/how-to-cle...intage-linens/
Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

If the quilting design is stamped on with the blue paint? chances are those lines will be permanent. Following the design with your quilting will help hide them if they do not come out when washed. If however you want a different quilting design, try to remove the blue marks on an edge of the top to see if they will come out. I wouldn't wash it until finished and bound and then try Retro clean for antique linens.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Welcome from NJ.

I, too, would finish the cross stitching and quilting before trying to clean. You might be surprised to see how easily it cleans up! When you are at that point, I would soak in the bathtub with Dawn dish detergent before trying anything else. Some of the older dyes in the embroidery floss are/were not as stable as most of those today. I've had some issues in the past with some embroidery floss (on traditional cross stitching) but a couple of gentle washings with the dish detergent has worked wonders.

What I've also done with regular cross stitching after washing is a gentle squeeze to get out the bulk of the water but then I roll the piece in towels to get out as much water as possible and then lay flat to dry. This way if you need to do additional washings, you've not 'set' any runs or stains.

Good luck. It will be a much cherished quilt regardless.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!