Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody else have this problem? >

Anybody else have this problem?

Anybody else have this problem?

Old 01-29-2018, 11:17 AM

This sounds like you could be my twin. I TRY to have one project going at a time but, since I am a hand quilter, there is always a quilt sitting in a laundry basket waiting for me to sit down.
EASY SOLUTION for showing your house:::
Load all fabrics that are out into a laundry basket and any other clutter and put it in your car. No one sees it and house looks neat and you can get back to it quickly. Kids learned the drill pretty fast!!!
Sold a house doing this...had unfolded laundry in the car,,,,lots of clutter that we needed...backpacks, etc. House looked neat as a pin...We owned a Suburban at the time...LOL!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 PM

I am also in the club. I use to say that no way I would have UFO's. Right now I am quilting one for myself, have 2 large tops to quilt, have the fabric seperated in bags for 4 that are in my mind. Im always thinking of what I would love to make, have a file of pictures of quilts that are "one day I'll do that". I am addicted!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:31 PM

I love to take classes and many times the next interesting class comes up before I have finished the previous class quilt. So, I have a fair amount of UFO's. My guild has been having a challenge where we try to finish 5 UFO's during the year. The first year I made it. The last 3 years, I have only finished 4. I'm again working on my first listed UFO for this year. However, the first "turn-in" was last week. The next one is March. We get a ribbon for the first turn in, plus a button. Then at each turn-in we get another button to add to our ribbon. Most of the challenge members add them to their name tags. It's fun to hear how long ago the quilt was started. Last year, I had one from 1989.
At turn-in, the quilt has to be quilted, bound and have a label attached.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 PM

Yes, And just as i make up my mind here comes a new baby or someone has a birthday or ask me to make something for them. That is why I only have one lap quilt I have made for myself.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 PM

The "swirling" part applies to me, but I'm not one to worry too much about what I do when it comes to a hobby. It's recreation for me. I finish things sooner or later, or at least I have excellent intentions, provided I live to be 110 or so. My philosophy is that whatever I have spent on this is not wasted if it served the purpose of giving me something pleasant and creative to do with my free time. As hobbies go, I figure the doing is it's own reward, and then the occasional finished project is gravy. There are additional benefits, too, such as the smile you see when you give someone a quilt or just knowing you might have helped brighten someone's life a bit, if it's a charity donation.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 PM

When we were planning our cross country move and had the house on the market, I put all my stuff in bins and packed them where I could not get to them. After living in a house for a long time there is lots of stuff to pack up and realtors like for the house to be uncluttered. BUT, since I like to do hand work, I put small projects in a small bin that could fit under the bed and worked on those projects. I got 3-4 bindings done, did some hand quilting on small projects and even some needle point. Find your projects that can fit in small bin and don't make a mess of your rooms once you have cleaned and gotten them presentable for potential buyers but best of all, your stuff will be packed and ready to move along to your next adventure.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:38 AM

It looks like a lot of us share your dilemma or at least part of it: lots of UFOs, PIGs, and a never ending supply of ideas. I just finished our DD's baby quilt (she is due this Friday) and a bunch of baby items, but the next thing on my agenda is thoroughly cleaning and reorganizing my sewing room. It still holds the remnants of Christmas projects etc. and I can't work in the mess. My DH has also been cleaning and reorganizing our basement and I promised to go through "my stuff" when the baby items were done. I know there are sewing type notions down there too. Onward !
Old 01-30-2018, 07:03 AM

I am exactly in the same boat as you...moving 45 minutes away but waiting for a firm offer on this house before we can commit on another. I have gone through every piece of my yardage stash, kept what I wanted, and gave away the "what was I thinking" stuff. 12" blocks that were stored in a pizza box were given to a thrift shop. We have rented a storage unit and that's where the keepers are. In my sewing room now, I have 4 plastic 3-drawer units with scraps, mostly cut and sorted by size. But 2 drawers have "chunks" and 1/3 yd+. I am making a scrap quilt with 3 inch squares and also using up 3-1/2" for hst. I found a stack of about 50 7-1/2" white squares that were given to me some yrs ago, so I'm using them up. I have a plastic bin on my cutting table with these pieces. After the first unexpected showing and I had to do a stash & dash, I vowed to get somewhat organized on this so I wouldn't have to go through that again. Machine stays set up...after all, it is my sewing studio and I still live there. And when the need to sit at that machine and sew hits, I can do it very easily. Lots of good wishes for a quick move for you.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Yep, ditto here.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:32 PM

I'm like the God who made me and created, so I create. He finished, so eventually I will too, maybe.