Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap >

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Old 02-03-2018, 09:41 AM

These churn dash blocks join together without a sash, nicely. A pattern is created when joined together. I have some extras to add to the one we swapped.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Kwyltaholic received your beautiful blocks today.

Ladies I have received everyone's blocks, but one person who i have been trying to contact so If I don't hear anything from her today then I will start swapping out the blocks tomorrow.

I am thinking about hosting another swap with the block being a star with free choice of colors. Any star block will be welcome, what do you all think. I am open to suggestions also for a blocks swap theme.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Armylady2012 View Post
Kwyltaholic received your beautiful blocks today.

Ladies I have received everyone's blocks, but one person who i have been trying to contact so If I don't hear anything from her today then I will start swapping out the blocks tomorrow.

I am thinking about hosting another swap with the block being a star with free choice of colors. Any star block will be welcome, what do you all think. I am open to suggestions also for a blocks swap theme.

I love the idea of a Star Swap. Everybody can practice on keeping those points sharp. Stars are my favorites next to the churn dashes.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:41 AM

I like participating in swaps, so I'll make a reply about the 'star swap' idea. I like a swap that involves sets of 6 or more blocks using the same pattern and fabric. If I sew blocks that are 'all-different,' just to swap them for someone else's 'all-different' blocks, then it seems like I might as well save the postage and use my own blocks in the first place. That's what I chose to do for this swap...

Some of you were wondering about using sashing or not with your Churn Dash blocks. Here's how that looked for my initial blocks with the WOW. My sashing was cut at 1 1/2", the setting triangles used a wide stripe sewn to a WOW triangle, the inner border was cut 2 1/2", the outer border was cut at 4". It made a good sized twin top.

When cutting the stripe for the setting triangles, I was left with the reverse piece from the stripe, so I decided to make the quilt again using the same setting triangle technique. I've got that top sew as far as rows. For it, I've used a blue background instead of white, so it's quite different looking! Then, enjoying the Churn Dash pattern so much, I made a baby quilt for my new grandson, who was born at Christmas time. Just love this pattern now! :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Julie's Churn Dash quilt top.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	588377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby quilt for Preston.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	588378  
Old 02-03-2018, 02:18 PM

I was thinking of using green grunge fabric for sashing between my blocks.

I like the idea of a star block. Since I am just getting started quilting, this was my first attempt at making a block with points and I would enjoy another.

Emily
Old 02-03-2018, 02:18 PM

I am wondering about the proposed swap: Will the star blocks be a consistent size? Will there be a range of colors?
Old 02-03-2018, 03:36 PM

I like the idea of the star block and I love swapping with others. So unless life gets in the way, I will be in for another swap.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I am wondering about the proposed swap: Will the star blocks be a consistent size? Will there be a range of colors?
Mary, I am open for suggestions for the sizes of the blocks. Personally I like to do all 12.5 inch blocks. If you have 6.5 inch blocks it take four to make the 12.5 and with the 9.5 inch block you end up having to add borders to make it 12.5 unless you are just making the quilt using the individual sizes of blocks. On the colors I was going to let it be the swappers choice of colors to use, unless you ladies have some colors in mind to have colors to suggest. Just trying to get the consensus of what everyone would like to do for the next swap.

I have some blocks that I have done from a shop hop that I participated in FL a few years back I will try to press and then post a picture.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:28 PM

I would prefer that the blocks all be 12 1/2". Maybe have a specified background so they all play nicely together? Night sky or ???
Old 02-03-2018, 08:38 PM

I've been itching to do something with black and white/white on black. Maybe black and white star blocks? One block would be black on white, the other white on black. Each person could sign up for a certain numbers of pairs, maybe?

That's just one thought. I'm open to ideas, but I wouldn't participate in an "anything goes" color scheme. I'm afraid I'd end up with blocks that clash (ie if some were patriotic and some fall, and some floral, you get the idea).