Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting thread? >

Hand quilting thread?

Hand quilting thread?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:28 AM

Default Hand quilting thread?

I went to an estate sale and bought a bedsize quilt that is partially handquilted. It is not a beauty...more of a everyday scrappy, but none the less, I decided to try and finish it and give it a life. It's been several,years since I handquilted, so this will be a good way to renew the process. My question is what thread do you hand quilters use now? What size/type needle. When I last did it I used the hand quilting thread from JAF-something like Amercana ? I checked and I don't have any now. I liked it then, wonder if JAF still offers..I think I used a size 9 needle....thanks
Old 02-04-2018, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I have seen that st JoAnn Fabrics. I have used coats and Clark hand quilting thread (the glacé one) that I got at JoAnn Fabric for all but one of my hand quilting projects. The first one I used regular thread which for me didn't work as well as the other. I know people have preferences so I'll wait to see what other folks like too.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:44 AM

JA has a YLI on on a large spool, many colors. But they all have to be glace to successfully hand quilt IMHO. You may want to do a big stitch, in a contrasting color) on an old ugly (?) quilt to give it some life and draw the eye to the stitching. For that I use size 12 (Thick) thread.....again,....go for the coated, hand stitch brand because they make size 12 for a machine stitch too, and they are not the same.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I love Dual Duty by Coats and Clark. I like the lovely off white look of 8030. As to the needle, I would say go with what feels good in your hand and goes through the fabric to your comfort.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I use Coats and Clark and a size 10 needle.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Gutterman makes a nice thread for hand quilting. you should also be able to find that at Joann's.
i don't know how it compares in price to other brands but i assume it would stand up to all of them in terms of quality.

i have used the Americana in the past and liked it.
i use the Gutterman now when i need a thread of that weight because i was gifted a 25-lifetime supply in all sorts of colors many years ago.

and guess who doesn't hand quilt. lol lol lol
Old 02-04-2018, 08:05 AM

I have used and like the Americana brand thread at JAF. AFAIK they still sell it but it does not come in a great variety of colors.

Honestly I will use any specifically labled 'hand quilting' thread as long as it is the color I want. I use the above, C&C, Gutterman, whatever else may be commercially available.

As to needles...I use Roxanne betweens - exclusively anymore. Usually a size 11. With the Americana brand thread I do have to go up a needle size to a 10 just to get the thread through the eye of the needle - it's thick thread! I find Roxanne needles to be strong and sharp. To date all of my quilts have used W&N batting and I have no issues getting any of these threads through that batting with the Roxanne needles.

Good luck with your project and enjoy!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have seen that st JoAnn Fabrics. I have used coats and Clark hand quilting thread (the glacé one) of my hand quilting projects. .
same here, the finish helps pull the thread through smoothly, and since it is part poly it is much stronger than standard sewing thread. I've also used DMC balls for big stitch.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:06 AM

I use a number 9 needle and either YLI qui,ting thread or I wax Coats and Clark Quilting Thread.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 PM

I prefer Gutermann. I did a whole quilt with YLI and hated using it. It was like sewing with fishing line.