Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Press seams open or to the dark side? Your opinion please >

Press seams open or to the dark side? Your opinion please

Press seams open or to the dark side? Your opinion please

Old 02-05-2018, 04:25 PM

I am starting to sew seams open, however, it depends on the situation. If I have white strips, I sew to the dark side because the seams show under the white.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
There is a time and place for both. I am a longarm quilter and I tend to press seams open when there will be too much bulk at seam intersections. If the seam is not too bulky I press to the dark side or in such a way as to nest seams.
This is what I do, too! Just depends on the intersections or when a pattern recommends it to be pressed open. I figure there's a reason when it's recommended. Pressing to the dark side is quicker...for me anyway. The pinwheel block is one that I always press open from the HST to finish regardless of pattern directions. That has 8 fabrics meeting in the middle so it's got quite a bulk..

Last edited by Teen; 02-05-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM

I press to the dark side.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

if i am sewing a dark fabric to a light fabric, i try to have the lighter fabric seam allowance extend beyond the darker fabric by a thread or two - just enough so that if i do press to the lighter side, the darker fabric does not show through to the front.

i usually press to the side because i usually get neater joins when i nest the seams.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 PM

I tried the pressing to dark thing and, honestly, just did not find that to be something that worked for me. Then again, like many others, I come from a garment background so pressing open was the norm.

That said, I normally press my seams open..all..the..time. Unless it's paper piecing and then that just doesn't work. Or at least not that I've figured out yet, lol.

I've had a number of quilts out there for years and so far, no issues (except when the dogs chew holes through the entire quilt..sigh). And not sure that it matters, but I exclusively hand quilt. As such, I rarely do 'in the ditch' quilting since I want my work to show if I'm spending that much time/effort on the project! Although I have and still have not had issues with those quilts to my knowledge.

Do what works for you - there are no quilt police!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 PM

How do press those little seams open without frying your fingers? I press to the side and will continue to do until I make a Lone Star quilt.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
There is a time and place for both. I am a longarm quilter and I tend to press seams open when there will be too much bulk at seam intersections. If the seam is not too bulky I press to the dark side or in such a way as to nest seams.
This is me too!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:14 AM

Usually press to the dark side unless I’m trying to nest seams or reduce bulk. I don’t think there is a right or wrong...just personal preference.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:48 AM

I prefer to press the seams open.

I use a smaller stitch (1.75) to prevent the threads from showing on the front.

I finger press the seams open before ironing so that my fingers aren't burned.

I've never hesitated stitching in the ditch. I'll never be accurate enough to only sew in the "open" space.

The blocks lay flatter, and I find lining up intersections more accurate by placing a pin through the seams when joining.

I rarely follow a pattern where it tells me which direction to press the seam. I never have to worry if I've pressed in the right direction if I press the seams open.

Pressing seams open works for me, and there are others who are just as passionate about pressing to one side. It's all good.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, everyone! I agree that it depends on what you're working on. I've always pressed to the dark side but see some value is pressing open sometimes.
Love hearing your experiences.
Someone mentioned it all started with hand piecing ( pressing to the dark) and that's what I first learned- I haven't hand pieced forever except for my hexi quilt which is a lot of fun to work on at night. But other than that I don't hand piece anything.