Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Press seams open or to the dark side? Your opinion please >

Press seams open or to the dark side? Your opinion please

Press seams open or to the dark side? Your opinion please

Old 02-06-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I,started quilting 14 years ago and for 13 of those years pressed to the dark. Then I started pressing open and I like that better.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:17 AM

I almost always iron to the dark side but will change when necessary. About the only time I press seams open is if there is too much bulk to one side. I would guess that ironing them to the dark (instead of open) would hold the quilt together much better, less chance of the seams opening.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
There is a time and place for both. I am a longarm quilter and I tend to press seams open when there will be too much bulk at seam intersections. If the seam is not too bulky I press to the dark side or in such a way as to nest seams.
What pewa88 said.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:22 AM

Something I tell my students over and over and over -You are making the quilt, you get to make the decisions! Other than 1/4" seam accuracy, there really aren't any hard and fast rules. Most things are preference. I PREFER not to do open seams because I THINK it is more secure to have them to one side and easier to nest. I PREFER to press to the dark side for the aesthetics when possible. But, there are quilts that I do it completely differently! Find what you are comfortable with on that quilt and go for it - I promise the quilt police will not show up at your door!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

My opinion is that seams pressed to the side are stronger after quilting than seams pressed open. To reduce bulk I always try spinning seams first. If that is not appropriate I will press bulky seams open only as a last resort. I don’t do it often.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 AM

For me it depends on how many intersecting seams in a block. I will sometimes press open all or sometimes just some of them. I just pieced another stacks 3 quilt top. The first one I did not press seams open and this last one I pressed the seams open. The second one looks much better. So that said it is entirely up to you which way to press.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 AM

When I spin seams I press to one side (not always the dark side) but my usual is to press open unless there is a reason where pressing to one side would be better. I usually do blocks w/ lots of pieces and find pressing open makes for a much neater back and flatter block.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 AM

I was at a guild meeting yesterday and the guest speaker addressed this very issue. She passed around a potholder-sized test quilt she made using both methods, I think both on the straight of grain and on the bias. After she made it, she "abused" the test quilt to make the threads on the different types of seams break. It was very obvious that the pressed open seams showed the batting quite readily and that they would be harder to repair than the seams pressed to one (typically, but not always darker) side. My take-away was that if the quilt is to be lovingly used, perhaps especially by a child, pressing to one side may make it more durable. For a wall-hanging or art quilt that is unlikely to be washed, perhaps it's not as important.

(NB: As a science teacher, I really appreciated the sharing of test results, even if it was only one tested item.)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I almost always press to one side. I find intersecting the joins to be easier. Once in a great while I will press some open.

I think pressing the seams open takes more time and much easier to burn my fingers. Since I always quilt my own quilts I avoid the intersections or make a circle around them. I have been quilting for about 52 years.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 PM

I mostly press mine open. No reason, just do.