Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red Snappers >

Red Snappers

Red Snappers

Old 02-10-2018, 05:10 AM

Mondo clips can be cut into any size with scissors. Loving mine for loading the backing as I float my tops.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:57 AM

I also have the Leader Grips. Would not be without them!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:58 AM

I don't know what the prices are like in the USA but here in Canada they were outrageous. I went to the hardware store and bought LED lighting track,(flexible plastic type), and plastic hollow tubing to fit. Works just fine for me at less than $20.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I don't know what the prices are like in the USA but here in Canada they were outrageous. I went to the hardware store and bought LED lighting track,(flexible plastic type), and plastic hollow tubing to fit. Works just fine for me at less than $20.
I did the same her in MI and worked great but I really prefer to pin as I do not put large quilts on the frame. Might get out my zippers and use them again, much easier to stitch it on and go.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:31 AM

Is there an easy tutorial on how to use these?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I’m having trouble visualising this. Can you post a picture of your set up please. I live in Canada too and am regularly frustrated by the pricing of quilt supplies here. I recently bought a used Nolting with a Gracie table and am getting ready to use it.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 AM

Absolutely love them. Wouldn't go back to pinning a quilt in for anything!!!!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Love mine too, worth every penny. Saves so much time and no more pin sticks. Before Red Snappers I kept a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the sewing room, lol.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:50 PM

I am very glad I invested in the red snappers! As others have said, they are somewhat stiff, but worth the effort to me. One thing I did was to cut the longest ones into two pieces....not necessarily half, but that makes them easier for me to use and fit a bigger variety of quilt widths.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:33 PM

First I pinned then went to zippered leaders for several years. Then I learned about Leadergrips. Loading a quilt is so much faster and easier. But I had problems with the Leadergrips cracking at the ends. I called and asked if it was possible to order only the top parts and was told no, so I went to Red Snappers. But they were too hard to use with arthritic hands and we found that they used so much more space at the ends of the quilt. If we had a quilt where the backing was short, we couldn't use them. The Red Snappers are much wider than Leadergrips. So I contacted Leadergrips again and found out the top part alone was now available. We I went back to Leadergrips. I was also told they are now using a different type of plastic that does't crack like the old ones. I haven't had any problems with the new ones. We will never go back to pinning or zippered leaders. Leadergrips or Red Snappers (if you have strength in your hands) are the only way to go, in my opinion. We can load a back in 10 minutes or less with the Leadergrips.