Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing fabric >

Storing fabric

Storing fabric

Old 02-08-2018, 09:22 PM

The attic is not a good place for fabric storage, or most other things for that matter, due to the extremes in temperatures. I'd find another place if I were you.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:49 AM
Administrator

i wouldn't have thought to worry about temperature.
fortunately for me that won't be an issue. it's all indoors in what used to be my dining room.
in your case i'd rely on the advice of those who do need to consider it.

i keep these things in mind:
-away from the light
-protected from bugs
-protected from moisture
-protected from dust
-easy to get to
-easy to search through

most of my fabrics are in translucent plastic stacking drawers.
i have some in totes but find that's not a good idea for me.
as i use up my stash and make space, those will get moved into the empty drawers.
sorting and searching the drawers is much easier for me than going through totes.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:53 AM

I have labeled plastic tubs for my pre-cuts and working projects. For larger pieces of fabric, I put the on boards and I have an old 5 drawer filing cabinet that works great to store the boards in. It takes up little space and is out of the sunlight.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:55 AM

I store mine in tubs...in the closet, under the bed(s), in the utility room, in the spare bedroom, in the dining room (shhh), and only a couple of them are in the garage. Oh...I also have some in a bookcase, and some in a cabinet in my sewing room. A few are under my sewing table too. Oh, and I also have a tiny bit in the office. (Don't tell about that either!)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
We have just moved into a new house and I am very excited that I will be able to have a dedicated sewing space - not huge, but all mine. I have a bit of fabric/stash that I am looking to store - probably about 2-3 rubbermaids' worth. I was thinking of tucking it into a small attic space that adjoins my sewing area, but I'm starting to wonder if that's not the best idea. Should it be kept where it's climate controlled, rather than in an attic (subject to external temperature variations)? It's mostly just garden-variety fabrics, plenty of cottons, nothing super special or fragile.

Where do you store your fabric stash if you don't have a huge sewing room?
I store my fabric (a lot) up in the attic which really isn't an attic. I live in So Cal. where it is often 104F outside in the summer. It doesn't seem to bother the fabric. It is all in plastic stands with pull out drawers. I do have to watch that nothing is exposed to light from a vent or it fades where the light touches it. I use a lot from my stash and it always seems fine. I buy good quality quilting fabric and it holds up.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:03 PM

Could some of the plastic totes be converted to under-bed boxes? That might help with temperature and also be more accessible. I have had a lot of luck with fabric-lined baskets from WM, myself, with a cotton towel over the top

hugs,
charlotte
Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'd use my dining room hutch for fabric, and put the china in the attic. Ha. Seriously, if that was my only choice.
Hahahahaha, yes!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 PM

Humidity can be another big concern in an attic, even if the temperatures were moderate. We learned sad lessons about mold many years ago when we moved from Kansas to the Gulf coast.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:10 AM

I keep mine on the metal shelves, I used to store it in totes in a closet. Then it became out of site out of mind and I didn't remember what I had and even bought some more of what I already had. I have attached a curtain using cheap showers and shower curtain rings to my shelving unit so I can close them hide the mess.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. We live in NC, so yes, temperatures will be over 100 and also down to freezing in the attic. I hadn't thought about the humidity issue (duh!) but that thought has put me off storing fabric in the attic. I like the shelves, but I also think the under-bed storage idea is brilliant, as I'm trying to keep my "footprint" down as much as possible. Thanks for all the great ideas!