Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Measuring for border size >

Measuring for border size

Measuring for border size

Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Question Measuring for border size

Hi, It's me again with another question. I'm getting ready to do the borders on a quilt top and I'm going to cut the borders to size. The top is comprised of six rows, and I have them paired and sewed so right now the top is in three pieces. I thought of what a pain it is to try to manage a whole top in my limited space so I can measure for borders. So today as I was sewing, I measured each center seam of the pairs. It ends up being measured near the top, bottom and center. My brain is telling me that it should be accurate for the borders on the top and bottom, but what do you think? The side borders should be the same as the top and bottom plus the width of the top and bottom borders. Right????
Old 02-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

In theory, yes. In practice, not so much. Seams waver in size. Pressing can sometimes distort. Measure the completed quilt top in the center, and both edges, then average the 3 measurements to get the border size. You don't have to lay the entire quilt out to measure. You can fold it in half.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

so far so good with my way. i measure mostly across the center. then pin border on each end, center and more if needed. I never make it longer and stitch. that is usually asking for trouble.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:11 PM

Paper Princess is right--too easy for incorrect measurements to result. Can you lay the top on a bed and measure it that way? Or fold and measure and then double?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:46 AM

I have a very large ironing table so what I think I'll do is lay it out and measure the "standard " way and the way it is in my head. I'll let you know what I come up with.