Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Ugg Valentine Quilt >

The Ugg Valentine Quilt

The Ugg Valentine Quilt

Old 02-15-2018, 06:34 AM

Hey, mix up the parts. That would make it way more fun to make, and exciting to look at. Add a couple of reds and darkest pinks to lightest pinks. Make the viewer want Look.
try laying it out without sashing and in blocks of four with the points touching. Or in opposing rows. Hearts don't always mean smooth sailing love, they can mean love sometimes hurts
Or put sashing between the pieces of a heart, and not on the outside.

I can't wait to see it!

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 02-15-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Hey, mix up the parts. That would make it way more fun to make, and exciting to look at. Add a couple of reds and darkest pinks to lightest pinks. Make the viewer want Look.
try laying it out without sashing and in blocks of four with the points touching. Or in opposing rows. Hearts don't always mean smooth sailing love, they can mean love sometimes hurts
Or put sashing between the pieces of a heart, and not on the outside.

I can't wait to see it!
Agree. A Broken Heart Quilt.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

You're so funny!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha
Old 02-15-2018, 06:59 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589110[/ATTACH]

I decided I like the "mix up the parts, make it exciting to look at" ideal, and I'll go with a fun Candy Stripe backing and outside border. I was making it as a throw on the floor tea party fun quilt anyway. Thanks

Last edited by Wintergray; 02-15-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 02-15-2018, 08:47 AM

I would advise using a darker fabric for sashing. What you chose does not have enough contrast. I think this will help. It will be a cute quilt.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

These might work in a row by row quilt. Or perhaps a medallion style little girls quilt. But, I would increase the size of the top white corner squares to overlap enough so the points aren't sewn off (lost) when you join them to your sashing or finish off the block.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-15-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 AM

I think your blocks are very nice but I do understand that if you are unhappy with the results then it isn't any fun to make. Maybe if you just put it away for a short time and then when you bring it out again you will enjoy it more. Sorry you don't like your hearts. Just make something that you enjoy sewing on-that is what makes our quilting hobby fun.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 AM

see, I think those few blocks could make a great table runner or baby quilt or even placemats.....

i do agree with using a contrasting sashing.....no matter what you choose...

But if you hate it, don't make any more blocks!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM

As I’m reading this thread, it occurred to me..... projects that a person “puts away” because they don’t like might be loved by another quilter. What about a thread that puts the “misfits” up for a reduced price or trade? All money isn’t lost and you might end up with a “misfit” that you love! I would start it, but have nothing to offer.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
I would advise using a darker fabric for sashing. What you chose does not have enough contrast. I think this will help. It will be a cute quilt.
Thanks for your "not enough contrast" input. I agree! That's probably what's stopping me from liking this quilt!. I originally bought the fabric to make a small hearts against white background appliqué small quilt for a Valentine gift then I seen the YouTube pieced heart video and thought pieced hearts would be faster then applique but the hearts in the instructions turned out big and not cute against white background. Ugg. I've been working so hard and just really hating the blocks. Lol.