Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/16-2/19/18 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/16-2/19/18

Virtual Quilting Weekend--2/16-2/19/18

Old 02-16-2018, 08:08 PM

No longer working at the quilt museum, but still volunteer there on Fridays. 4X4 (inch) challenge due today at the gallery and got them done. Newest project is machine appliqueing blocks to sell. I think they will be popular (picture of the penguin blocks). Instead of buying fabric for a top, buy the blocks all ready for assembly with or without sashing or other pieced blocks. If they are priced right they will cost about the same as yardage. Should be an interesting trial.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3020.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	589220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	589221  
Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 PM

I'll be bouncing in/out of sewing room this weekend. We are packing up the garage (all DH stuff) and getting ready for a 2-day getaway on Monday. Final Mystery clue comes out tomorrow as well as Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks to work on. Not starting a new project until I get a UFO done.... I'll be checking in to see all your lovelies!!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:18 PM

I'm done for today. Got the first half of diagonals on Easy Street together and joined all the blocks together for the longest diagonal. I'll attach it to the mother ship in the morning and then move on to the last 3 progressively shorter rows. Still plenty to do but we're making a run to exchange and commissary tomorrow so I'm sure that will slow me down. Turtle speed seems to be my MO.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:00 AM

I didn't get anything finished today that I had hoped to. I ran out of masking tape, so I had to run to the store to get more to paint the baseboards, then instead of getting the dresser assembled as I planned, I had to repaint a couple of the pieces where the paint got scratched off. All of which cut into my quilting time!

I did manage to get the main squares and the shadow fabric cut for the shadowbox quilt I'm working on. Hopefully, after I get the dresser assembled and the wall painted tomorrow, I'll have enough time to piece all the blocks. I hope I'm not being too optimistic, considering it's only 36 blocks with 5 pieces each. I'd really like to be able to attach the sashings and borders on Sunday.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:40 AM

Didn’t get much done yesterday due to morning barn/farrier visit and afternoon meeting, but I did get the rattail binding put on an art quilt. Now I need to decide how I want to hang it.

Rob
Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 AM

I'm in the moving mode so my sewing things are already moved so I will be packing, etc. We're only moving 3 1/2 miles but the work is about the same. I will check in on you quilters when I need a break.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:04 AM

I stayed home from work today because we had tree trimmers coming so I got to do a bit of sewing. I have the Dogs in Sweaters quilt pattern, but have been hesitant to start it. I haven't done a lot of piecing with tiny pieces (1 inch cut!) and had no idea if I could manage to get it right. I'm still trying to get a good scant 1/4" seam and working with these tiny pieces any deviance was going to show up. So I decided to make one block out of stash fabrics and see how it went. I had to redo some parts of the face that I didn't do a good job on and I noticed one mistake after I was done, but I'm pretty happy with the result and have decided to make it into a pillow as the pattern suggests. So here's my first ever block with little pieces. It's not great but for my skill level I'm pretty happy with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589232[/ATTACH]

Tomorrow I'm going to work on a tablet/phone holder (Hopefully. Since it's 7:00 and I haven't had much sleep because of the old dog, I'm not sure how productive I'll be) and pull fabric to make the professional tote. I have a couple quilts that I want to start, but they'll require a trip to the LQS and I don't want to do that tomorrow. Hopefully, soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pillow-QB..jpg
Views:	194
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	589232  

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-17-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:07 AM

Patrice - What an adorable dog - so funny with the eyeglasses!

Rob - what is a rat tail binding?

Debbie - I’m intrigued by your first photo, your applique is mounted onto blocks of some sort? I think I would enjoy volunteering at a quilt museum.

Marcia - have you had your longarm for long? I recently purchased one second hand, a retirement present for myself. It isn’t fancy, no stitch regulation, but I think/hope it’s well built and will behave itself. I test drove it at the seller’s home before purchasing and it went well. I just need to square up the leaders, they are a little stretched. I have 1 of the 3 leaders fixed. Then I’ll load it up with a quilt and probably stab myself like you did. I’ve been watching lots of utube videos on various methods of loading the quilt onto the frame.

I didn’t get as much done yesterday as I thought I would - went out with hubby to test drive an electric car - we are considering the Tesla Model 3. Dealership doesn’t have those yet, so we took the Model S for a spin. Wowzers, fun to drive.

But baby quilt did get quilted yesterday and the binding is attached, just need to sew it by hand to the back side.

Right now I’m monkeying around with the Curious George panel, I love doing this, a custom design for piecing the quilt top. I’ve decided on adding a row of Monkey Wrench blocks, I have a coordinating fabric with little faces of George. I’ll fussy cut them to put in the center square of the blocks.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Heather, thanks for hosting. I need to clean up my sewing room. It's a disaster! Waiting for the last clue for the 18th Mystery Train. It's been fun. I've never done one before.
Hopefully I can report back how awesome my room looks
Old 02-17-2018, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Patrice, I Love those doxies!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the progression of yours. It's adorable!! The glasses are Rad!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-18-2018 at 05:31 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps