Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
De-stashing/charity quilting groups >

De-stashing/charity quilting groups

De-stashing/charity quilting groups

Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 AM

Consider nursing homes, foster care support organizations, adoption agencies, groups that work with resettlement of immigrants or refugees and so on in your community. My university as a support for foster children who have "aged out of the system" but registered students given a quilt for their dorm room made by a local guild. These students have very little of their own because they were in the care of a foster family not their own family.

Can any of the quilts be made as Quilts of Valor and given locally? Those civil war prints could be beautiful. Remember QOV does not need to be red, white and blue.

Just some ideas. I would love to buy fabric, bring it all home, and make just donation quilts but I am trying to bring my own stash down this year.

I would not donate a beautiful stash to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I would first do an "open house fabric sale" and invite the members of local quilt guilds. Then if anything is left donate.

In the end.....these ideas are only my opinions.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
May I suggest you contact Quilts of Valor co-ordinater in your state? Civil war fabrics would make wonderful quilts of valor for our valiant service members. Here's the link: https://www.qovf.org/

I never donate to Goodwill because of how little they pay their help, and how much the upper management of Good will pay themselves. It is for profit corporation. The GW near me used to sell donated fabric, but has changed management. The new management doesn't seem interested in fabric or bedding at all.
I feel the same way about Goodwill. I was appalled at how much upper management was paid. I'm all for the idea of providing jobs and training but I think they take advantage.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 AM

Call the area churches. Most of them have a quilting group. We make Quilts for World Relief and many charity Quilts. We're always happy to get fabric donations. We would love t have some, but we are In Monana.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Try senior citizens centers. Or check with a local quilt store. The will have some info on local guilds

Also check with Independent Senior Living facilities. I drop my donations off to them. Mine has a wonderful dedicated sewing studio (locked...room) dedicated for sewing charity quilts! They immediately cut up fabric into 8”squares and file them into the appropriate area on their color wall.

Sandy
Old 02-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I feel the same way about Goodwill. I was appalled at how much upper management was paid. I'm all for the idea of providing jobs and training but I think they take advantage.
I disagree....Goodwill provides an entry level job for gaining experience etc. I always compliment the associates on how well the store is organized etc. Borrowing the Habitat for Humanity phrase....this is a hand-UP...not a hand-OUT.

re-think how you categorized Goodwill. It is an entry level retail job. And training. For me..better than working in fast food...we all started at the “bottom” ...And I love to poke around them.

sandy
Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 AM

Some of our local resale shops CALL quilt guild members to let them know about incoming sewing related items, machines, etc. They get first dibs on the items. Not sure if I agree with it but......

sandy
Old 02-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Here is a group of links from Jo Kramer's website (Jo's Country Junction): http://www.joscountryjunction.com/fi...and-fabric-to/. You have to read down, but she has collected some groups that accept donations.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:05 AM

Consider the Cedar Hill Quilters Guild. We are in the DFW area and I would be pleased to come and pick it up. We make quilts for Children's Hospital, Parkland NiCU, Veterans Hospital, and other charities as requested.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:22 AM

About your fabric not showing up in the Goodwill you donated it to, in Metropolitan areas, they ship all their donations received at stores to a central location, where they evaluate & re-distribute to different Goodwill stores. It may be different where the stores are exceptionally further apart.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
I have found the same situation at Goodwill and S. Army. I have donated fabric to them but didn't see it displayed. Of course it may have gotten sold before I returned there ( was a week or more before going back) or perhaps it wasn't displayed or was passed to other organizations. I have never seen fabric there. Sometimes I wonder about those places, especially when it comes to 'good' donations.
Someone picking up donations one time told me they sell "fabric", whether linens, towels, or piece goods, by the pound. I think they are pulped. Just what I think, no proof.