What was your First Job?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 PM

My first job -- picking berries in the summer starting about age 9. $0.75 a flat of 12 boxes. I started with strawberries, then raspberries and finally blackberries. Sometimes blueberries. Then I would buy my school clothes -- or rather the fabric to make my school clothes. My mom liked me doing this because I could get a discount on the berries so she could make jelly. I quilt this when I got a full time babysitting job earning $0.35 an hour.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:37 PM

My dad had a restaurant when I was 2 years old, so I worked as a waitress as my first job.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 PM

My first job was in a walk in dairy where milk was sold in glass jugs and I dipped ice cream cones. The milk and ice cream were made right there in the back and their was a little store in the front. I made 50 cents an hr. I was 14 yrs old.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

My first job (other than babysitting) was at a book store and it was perfect for me because books are in my top 3 very favorite things! I can't remember what I got paid since it was a million years ago!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by np3 View Post
My mom was a phone operator and she got me a job with AT&T as a long distance operator. I was 18 at the time. Did it while I was in college. That was back in the days when you had a big board in front of you and you had these cords to pick up calls when the lights appeared. One cord to answer and one to dial out. Totally cool!!
omg! That brought back memories of my second job-switchboard operator/in-patient registrar at a local hospital. Part t while a senior in HS...lived that board!

first job- a counter waitress at small restaurant-- uncle owned- again part time during junior year...convinced me to continue my education! Waitressing is a had way to earn a living!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I worked at a Fotomat. Remember those little booths that sat in the parking lot and you dropped your film off? That was me.

Watson
So did I, back east in Illinois during college years. We even wore awful orange striped uniforms!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jammin' Jane View Post
I was babysitting at age 9 for 4 adopted kids, a quarter an hour. Best job I ever had!!
I was baby sitter for 5 children, under the age of 5, 2 in diapers, fed them supper, cleaned house, put them to bed, etc. Was paid 35 cents per hour.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:08 PM

I started working about 13 for my Dad surveying--he'd set up the transit and I'd run it while he walked the line--he could pace off almost exactly and directionally be within a few inches of where the point was--amazing. Not sure what he paid, but I loved having my own money. I also maintained construction hand tools (sharpening & painting) and mowed for him. of course I also babysat 2 different families--one with 3 girls and one with 3 boys and the boys folks would be out VERY late! One time one stuck a marble in his mouth and started choking--I grabbed him by the heels (he was about 6 yr) and shook him hard and it popped out! In HS I also helped teach swim lessons and worked part time my senior yr at the nursing home. First FT job was for a non-profit determining eligibility to take a respiratory tech certification exam. Looking back I worked at least part time from the time I was 13, full time from 20 until 61. Glad to be retired (although still work PT)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
I was baby sitter for 5 children, under the age of 5, 2 in diapers, fed them supper, cleaned house, put them to bed, etc. Was paid 35 cents per hour.
Yuppers... had a job where I babysat 5 children, too. Three in diapers, and I'm talkin' cloth diapers and rubber pants!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:27 AM

Like many of you I babysat when I was very young. In high school my senior year I worked weekends for Howard Johnsons Restaurant at the counter. Drove to work in the dark, filled the jelly jars for the tables before going on the floor to do my shift. I don't remember what I got paid but did get tips. I was really too shy to be a waitress.

Great thread.