Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids >

Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids

Maybe Grands need to help protect our kids

Old 02-27-2018, 05:25 PM

If a person with a gun or several guns can get into a school, I'm pretty sure that God can, too.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 PM

My parents did not allow our teachers to strike us, period. My mother felt that if our behavior was so out of line that it merited corporal punishment, the teacher could call her about it. I guarantee you, we would have received a punishment that was greater than anything the teacher could do.

She also told teachers that, unless we were guilty of some 'crime' in school, no mass punishments. However, if we "did the crime' we did the time."

Why? Because she knew that sometimes the teacher was out of line. Since I know I had one BAD teacher, I can vouch for that. However, if "we did the crime, we also did the time" - at home.

500 sentences in one night is overkill. My son had to do the times tables (all 12 of them) as punishment and became so overwhelmed by the number of times he had to do it, that he could not get it done. The original # of 10 times tables (that was 12 times tables, each 10 times) was because he missed a question in a 'math bee'. When he couldn't get it done, 10 more times was added. I politely informed the teacher that my son was never going to write anything as punishment again - especially since he did nothing wrong in the first place. That teacher was also informed that he was making my son hate to go to school because of all the punishments for just participating in class.

So, although the teacher meant well, he was a bad teacher.

Last edited by cathyvv; 02-27-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:47 PM

Agree 100%.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
We desperately need to re-instate the Brady Act of 1983 but with a much longer waiting period and impose a ban on assault weapons. They are for combat and do not belong on our streets.
You are so right!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
If a person with a gun or several guns can get into a school, I'm pretty sure that God can, too.
He will not go where He is not wanted. But a wonderful ideal!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

When they banned machine guns in the 1930's it didn't affect the second amendment at all. Same with the Brady Bill.
People are too afraid they will have their guns seized and the NRA makes sure they are.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Kids can pray in school. It can be their prayers silent at anytime. How many kids have said before a test "God let me pass this test". As for organized prayer I am Jewish. When I went to public school back in the "good old days" I was forced to participate in Christian prayers every day. There was no opting out. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me. But parents can advise and recommend and teach their children prayers that those children can say to themselves whenever they have the need or desire. So prayer really isn't outlawed in schools. I'll bet some of those children were praying in whatever their faith was
Old 02-28-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
As a home school mom of 5 and wife of a former teacher, there are answers to the school shooting problem. Unfortunately, no one wants to address the REAL issues. Our society is deteriorating from the inside out and we will have to take some serious steps to turn that around. This country has glorified violence and fostered a deep underlying current of disrespect and rebellion and general disregard for life or others in the younger generation. At this point, I'm not sure if anything can turn the tide. Banning guns won't stop it nor will arming teachers. It has to start at the level of each person taking responsibility for themselves and how they raise their children...
Couldn't have said it better if I tried! Thank you!

(And you are a homeschooling mom... I love that)
Old 02-28-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
When they banned machine guns in the 1930's it didn't affect the second amendment at all. Same with the Brady Bill.
People are too afraid they will have their guns seized and the NRA makes sure they are.
But we have tried to ban drugs and that hasn't worked so far. Now some States are making them legal again.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Kids can pray in school. It can be their prayers silent at anytime. How many kids have said before a test "God let me pass this test". As for organized prayer I am Jewish. When I went to public school back in the "good old days" I was forced to participate in Christian prayers every day. There was no opting out. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me. But parents can advise and recommend and teach their children prayers that those children can say to themselves whenever they have the need or desire. So prayer really isn't outlawed in schools. I'll bet some of those children were praying in whatever their faith was
I can remember, first grade in public school, having to say the Lord's Prayer. And I know there were Jewish kids in the school. I'm glad they don't do that anymore. It's not fair for one religion to set the rules, even if they are the majority.