finding manuals??

Old 02-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Question finding manuals??

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for my free-westinghouse Type J model # NLR582754??
I have been searching and cant find it. I need to know how to thread it.
Thanks in advance,
Carol
Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 PM

I couldn't identify you model exactly, but if you can picture search a similar rotary bobbin model (assuming it's a rotary model to begin with) it's usually close enough to figure it out. I could neither find a free manual for this brand. This page might be a help.

When you can't find a model you have to go buy intuition; very generally; place a spool of threadon the spool pin, aim for the tensioner and look for any thread guides on the way; hooks, loops, or similar. It's usually obvious. Then aim for the take up lever, there's probably one or two thread guides before the thread reaches the lever. Make sure the thead goes inbetween the disks in the tensioner. (Some tensioners are rather fancy with springs and loops, and if you can manage to post a picture I'm sure someone here can help). Then aim for the needle, and again, look for thread guides along the way.

Does the bobbin case come out for threading? Make sure the thread goes properly in the tension spring.

Another checkpoint is needle position; does it take regular 15x1 needles? I'm guessing it threads from left to right from the pictures, if it does, the flat side should be towards right. The last thread guide above the needle will give you a hint to which way it threads.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by cviens View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a manual for my free-westinghouse Type J model # NLR582754??
Thanks in advance,
Carol
Welcome, Carol. We like pictures, not only just to look at all the machines, but also pictures can help us to help you.

I can't remember the association between New Home, Free and Westinghouse. Without seeing your machine, I can only guess that it is similar to the New Home Model NLB. If it is, I'm going to guess that your machine will take a different (obsolete) needle than what is available for modern domestic machines. Also it is one that the hand wheel will go in a clockwise direction while looking at it from the end. It is probably what is known as a direct drive in that the hand wheel rides on a rubber pulley on the motor. These will frequently have a flat spot. Depending on how flat there are some options to get it running smoother. Frequently those that now have those type of machines will put something between the motor and the machine while it is not in use. Some links that might be helpful are:
http://myperfectstitch.blogspot.com/...r-classic.html
New Home Vintage Sewing Machines Club You might want to look through the other pages of this thread - this page has a picture of NLB
http://ismacs.net/newhome/new-home-s...e-manuals.html
Old New Home - needles?

I think LeonF has a similar one, but not sure if he has it up and running yet.

If you post a picture, it would help. The pictures generally need to be resized before they can be posted.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:04 AM

You can try searching on Victorian Sweatshop for information. Just google the name. They are friendly & helpful there too.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...653-586317.jpg

This nekked lady isn't ready to sew yet. I have two rotcillo Frees also.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 AM

Default NLB manual for threading and downloading.

Originally Posted by cviens View Post
Thanks in advance,
Carol
This NLB manual is free and should be similar to your slightly earlier machine. New Home and Free Westinghouse are the same machines made in the same factory.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96...-Home-Nlb.html

I have two LLC type J's and this should be very similar to your machine and free.

Stefan
Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 PM

This machine is badged "Free Westinghouse" and stamped with "Type J" on the underside in the front. If this is your machine then attached is how I threaded mine to produce the stitches in the picture. If the picture is too fuzzy I can try again. I do not have a manual, just guessing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	625214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	625215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	303.8 KB