Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles >

Thimbles

Thimbles

Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM

I have fat fingers and never found one that was comfortable or stayed on, be it metal or plastic although had mild success with leather. Then I found the adjustable open side thimbles...absolutely love it! Makes any hand sewing so much easier!

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Ope...eThimbles.html
Old 03-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Moz

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
When I started hand quilting I started using the beige colored plastic thimbles because I could adjust it to my finger by putting it in boiling water. Then I went to the Road to CA show and met TJ Lane. She makes thimbles using silver and has them fitted to your finger. That made all the difference for me. I have 3. One is a bit larger for use in the summer when my finger swells a bit. I keep it on my middle finger on my right hand. When quilting I use a little disk that sticks to the middle finger on my left hand. I tried to use a thimble on my left hand but it didn't work for me. Nor could I work with one on my right thumb.
I used those beige open sided thimbles at first too. Then I did discover the Roxanne ones. I really love them, but mine got a hole after 200 hours of quilting. That plastic one is still holding up. but I can't seem to find another one of the beige ones. Also I put some super glue on the backside of the Roxette and it fixed that hole...for now
Old 03-03-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I use a regular steel thimble on my middle finger, though sometimes I will switch to a smaller one and put that on my ring finger--- depends on which feels right when I'm working. I only hand sew a few things-- labels to quilt back, for show quilts I hand sew the binding to the back, some embroidery stitches get sewn to the top before quilting, some embroidery stitches get sew to the top after quilting. If it's something that will be sewn to a quilt that's already sandwiched, then the thimble goes on my finger.

I have a bunch of thimbles, all came in batches of misc. sewing supplies that I got off eBay. I use whichever one fits whichever finger I want it on.

Rob
I use the regular steel thimbles also. My favorite is one that my father brought back after his mother died. I have Grandma's thimble I wear it on my middle finger. I've done this since I learned to hand sew at about 6 or 8 years old. At this point, I doubt I could sew without it on.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:54 PM

I can't use a thimble, but I really like the leather Thimble Pads. https://www.amazon.com/Colorbok-SM10.../dp/B001J5JN7G
Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 PM

I almost never hand quilt, but find I can't hand sew anything without wearing a thimble--just the way I learned and it stuck!
Old 03-04-2018, 04:31 AM

Thimbles just get in my way and make work clumsy when hand sewing or doing needle turn applique. I do love my brass Roxanne's thimble on my thumb for hand quilting, but I do so little of that.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

A blunt end of the needle pricking my finger over and over I think is foolish of me when a thimble will stop it. I wear one when doing any hand sewing. When hand sewing binding I wear one on the finger I push the needle through and one on the opposite thumb. I tend to push the needle point into the top of my thumb when sewing on binding. I like the Clover silicone thimbles, they fit the best and I forget I have one on. All the kids I teach how to hand sew, they all wear a thimble and learn how to use it. The main thing is a thimble that fits and won't fall off. For small kids there is a petite size thimble that seems to fit all the kids.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 AM

I love to quilt by hand. I have a thimble on my middle finger on the right hand and another thimble on the index finger of the left hand. I use a rocking motion when I quilt and use the left thimble as a guide for the needle as I pierce the top. It is fast and I get little stitches. It's my version of the thimble lady's technique.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I wear leather thimbles made by Clover. Most thimbles seem to be made under the assumption that you are pushing the needle with the pad of your finger. However, I don't hand quilt. I hand applique, hand bind, and do some hexie hand-piecing, and I find myself pushing the needle through the fabric with the side of my middle finger, just below the nail. Most of the plastic and metal thimbles don't work for my style, but I really like the leather thimbles.
I must hand sew like you Peckish! I am also pushing the needle with the side of my middle finger near the top of the finger, just below where the nail is growing out. I find any kind of thimble clumsy and hard to work with one on. I absolutely love the little leather thimble pad circles you stick on, like these:
https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...caAuVAEALw_wcB

Back when I hand quilted I didn't use a thimble then either, but pushed the needle with my fingernail. Until I ultimately drilled a hole in the nail. Then I had a choice, I could wait for the nail to grow out or I would keep a thimble nearby and after I loaded up my needle I would slip it on and push it through. In those cases I absolutely loved the open thimbles by TJ Lane. Pricey but it was the only thimble that worked for me.

http://www.thimbles2fit.com/cgi-bin/...mble_open_main