Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 03-04-2018, 07:44 PM

Very nice. I'm just beside myself that you two are racing to the finish already!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:44 AM

the "race" is not intentional, the blocks are just so much fun to make!

Unfortunately for me, I don't have the handicap of "family issues" to deal with. Two adult children live in the Atlanta GA area, and closest other family lives about 400 miles away. DH and I moved to SD for my job, so we have no connections in the area. I also work 85 miles from home, so don't get involved with coworker friends outside of work.

I'm hoping to get some fun sewing time today. Having a blizzard outside, so the schools in the area are all closed. The one I work at has a two hour late start, but I expect they'll close it too. Not that it really matters for me, as I can telework, but if they close the office then I don't have to. . .

I'm up to 96 blocks sewn, so if they call off work, I may get them done today. I'm doing about 18 less than the total though.

Last edited by Macybaby; 03-05-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 PM

I agree with Macybaby....not a race and these are a lot of fun to make. I work 2 days a week counseling so this hobbie is my escape. I have not started another quilt since starting SBS and I'm waiting to take 2 quilts to the LA when the flu has run its course at her house. I'm preparing to be gone for a month in mid-April so my goal was to get as many of these blocks done that I can. I saved some blocks to take with me to cut while gone.

I helped my elderly neighbor at his house today in preparation of his son arriving tomorrow. We are picking him up at airport too so kinda busy....plus the family issues blah blah.... Today, I completed only 2 blocks..felt like appliquing...these take my count to 61...

E4 - Indiana Rose
D10 - Boys Nonsense
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	590294   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	590295  

Last edited by Teen; 03-05-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 AM

Teen - your applique looks really nice - a great endorsement for the appliquick method.

we are having our second snow day. I think half the state is snowed in today. It's still snowing but should stop later today. We have a bit over 6", which is not a lot except that with the winds it all piles up in drifts.

I'm working on my last three blocks. These are ones I messed up on so had to recut and resew.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 AM

Wow, lots of activity here and many beautiful blocks to enjoy. I am still plodding along, enjoying the process very much. It takes me a little time to decide just which fabric to use but it's fun to go through my stash and make these selections.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590311[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]590312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	B-10.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	590311   Click image for larger version

Name:	J-2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	590312  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 AM

DonnaPea, your fabric selections are great! I love your blocks.

Teen, more lovely blocks, specially your appliqué one! I really have to try this method. I will have to go on a hunt to get the tools
Old 03-06-2018, 11:42 AM

Yea, Macybaby!!! Cannot believe how fast you did this. That 365 challenge taught you some useful techniques in efficiency. Plus your super efficient anyway so double plus for you!! Looking forward to your assembly. I ended up doing one re-do because I didn't like it and was tired of ripping out threads so it was easier to start over. Lol! It's gorgeous weather here so I've worked outside a bit today and did a some more packing for our month long trip. But, I did do one block first thing this morning that I cut out last night. Lol! Whatever works. I have decided to do an applique border for this quilt. I figure I'm spending a lot of time of this baby so why not finish it with a flourish!

Donna....welcome back and hope your weekend was lovely. You are off to a great start. Your blocks look wonderful and fabric choices great. That's probably half the fun when doing the scrappy way, picking out the fabrics. I still enjoy creating from my small pile of specific colors & accent fabric. I will probably be so sick of this fabric when done. So far, I still like it.

Anael...I absolutely love appliqué and a lot of it has to do with the method and machine appliquing. Amazon has a starter kit that includes stabilizer, marking pencils, and tools. Not sure if you can buy Amazon from Netherlands. My friend bought hers at a quilt show so there is another option.

Thanks for for the lovely comments. I should reach the halfway point this week barring any interruptions. I've been staying on top of the excel design layout so I'll post a pic of it
Old 03-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Teen, I'm going to try and find some alternative tools, the real ones are very expensive. I could order them from the USA but the shipping costs are way too high. No problem, I have a few projects I should finish first before starting a new one I still need to quilt my Sylvia.........haha!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Donna - I know what you mean about the time to select the fabrics. It takes me more time to select fabric and cut them out than it does to sew them up.

Now to catch up on picture posting.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 PM

And more