Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How and when do you Starch? >

How and when do you Starch?

How and when do you Starch?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM

No starch here.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 AM

I usually don't prewash unless it is a dark fabric or red or blue.
I don't starch but I do use sizing (Magic Sizing). It does seem to be as stiff as starch but gives the fabric a nice feel.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=Snooze2978;8014968]I don't pre-wash my fabrics but do starch them before cutting. I use what's we call Quilter's Moonshine which is made with Vodka. I like my starch even heavier so add Sta-Puff liquid starch to my mixture

How how does one make quilters moonshine???.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:12 AM

Another one who starches... I spray and iron my fabrics with Best Press before cutting. I purchase it by the gallon when it is on sale or get free shipping. After reading Prism99’s post, I will keep my eye open for another starch alternative just to give it a try. I feel it helps with the piecing as well as the cutting.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:53 AM

No one has mentioned Terial Magic, a liquid fabric stabilizer. I use it all the time. Easier for me to sew more accurate seams. Washes out when project is finished. ��
Old 03-05-2018, 05:02 AM

I put a smiley face in the above post (from my iPad) and it put question marks instead. Sorry about that.

Terial Magic does wash out nicely when I'm finished with my project.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:52 AM

I did an experiment with Terial Magic just a few weeks ago - I compared the stiffness of a fabric prepared with that along with a very strong cooked cornstarch/water solution ( thick enough that I painted it on). I think that the almost free cornstarch solution was just as good, if not better than the Terial Magic. On both samples, I saturated the fabric, then used my hair dryer on them - for my purposes, pressed them after they were dry. This experiment was related to cutting fabric on a Silhouette cutter - fabric was much stiffer than needed for regular quilting purposes in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 AM

I don't normally starch, but I have. Years ago when I first started quilting, I dipped the fabric I was going to use in a quilt into a bucket filled with liquid starch. I then hung it to dry, and it was like working with a sheet of paper. A lot of prep work though. I don't remember if I diluted the starch or not.

I am using starch on the fabric I am using right now. It was suggest by the author of the quilt pattern I am using. It is an eight point star with lots of points to match up. This time I sprayed both sides of the fabric heavily with starch and ironed, and it seems to be working just fine. As a beginner quilter, I found the pre washed fabric to be challenging to work with and starched helped a great bit.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
Oops - might need to do more research. I won one of the "sits up on its feet" irons, and I would hate to ruin it. It said the warranty was voided if I used distilled, but nothing more than that. I don't have another filter (just the small one in the refrigerator), but maybe I need to.
You can use the spring water that you buy at the grocery store. I have filtered water from my refrigerator so I just use that.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 AM

I have never soaked fabric in Terial Magic, although that might work with some projects, such as embroidery work.
i just lightly spray it on my fabric, and let it air dry. Most of the time I don't even press it. Works great for me!
just another choice one might consider.