Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Buying Glasses over the 'net >

Buying Glasses over the 'net

Buying Glasses over the 'net

Old 03-21-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Personally, I would be really scared to buy glasses on the net. How do you know how the frame you pick are going to fit? If you need bifocals, those need to be measured so the bifocals are in the right spot. You can't do that over the net.
I bought from zenni and wear bfocals and had no problems. They walk you thru the process.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 AM

When I get new glasses, I have to have the optician's assistant adjust them several times so they don't rub my ears, fall down on my nose, etc. Is this something one can do at home? I never have figured out how to get those plastic ear pieces flexible enough to bend and stay bent. Is there a trick to that?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:33 AM

Hi Watson,

I have not bought glasses online, but when I needed two different pairs of progressives two years ago, I shopped around to quite a variety of local glasses vendors, from Walmart to Iris, SuperStore to local indy. The best price by far was at Costco. I was able to buy two pair of glasses for less than one pair at the other stores I checked out.

I have thought about trying to buy online, but I have had fitting problems in the past and worry that unless I try on the glasses, I will not be able to confirm the fit. I have a small nose and big rounded cheeks, I need the have the adjustable bridge piece to fit my nose and the lenses have to be far away enough from my cheeks, otherwise they raise off my nose when I smile.

I would recommend shopping around your Rx locally to find out what the 'best' price is. I was shocked when I discovered how much prices (even just comparing lens price) varied between vendors.

Good Luck on your quest.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM

I just got new glasses at Costco. They have a lot of cute frames by the way, that run in the $79.00 to $175.00 range.
My last lenses 2 years ago were $527.00. Totally complicated vision...

At Costco just the lenses, any prescription are $160.00. Thin material, glare resist, no lines, etc etc. all the works. I went mad this year and added Verilux, an auto darken auto light. Added $40.00. So $200.00 total bill for the lenses.
You have to take a number, I think most people do their shopping while waiting, but you could miss them calling your number.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM

I've never thought to buy on line. I have a complicated prescription also, and every two years spend almost $500. on glasses. I'm currently sitting on a new prescription waiting for a coupon because my numbers changed and I need new glasses!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM

I have been buying glasses from Zenni for many years. I always end up with a very wearable pair and that is with progressive bifocals. Very happy with the results. Glasses including frames for under $80. I always get wire rim. I sure can afford their prices!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 PM

we also used Zenni and were very happy. Strong rx for hubby and they fit perfectly!
Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 PM

I have also heard that Costco is a good source for quality in-expensive glasses. I think that you do not have to be a member of Costco to use their services, as is the case for the pharmacy.... I haven't tested this myself but my daughter has.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 PM

I have to have my glasses adjusted enough times that it wouldn't work for me, but I'm spoiled. My daughter works for my optometrist and he does family glasses at a huge discount. I wonder if he knew how large our family is when he hired her. He does mine for what my insurance pays. $475 glasses for $150, $0 to me. I know he's taking a loss, but refuses any money. My daughter is so exacting in her measuring that I would be concerned going online.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:28 AM

I used to spend big money for glasses, until I got cataracts. I asked that the replacement lenses, put in to fix the cloudy lenses, be set for monofocal, which is one eye for distance and one eye for reading/close work. So after almost 50 years of wearing glasses and/or contacts....I CAN SEE without them!!!!!!!!!

I realize now, that if I had paid the $1000-$2000 per eye for Lasik surgery years ago, I would have saved a LOT of $$$$$.